Where to get a job in NY?

Started by
6 comments, last by Gaiiden 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm looking for a job this summer, it can actually even be an internship in some software firm, can you guys suggest any places that I can look? I tried craigslist, but most jobs there are website related. I live in New York, I'm a freshman in college, currently in Liberal Arts major, but majored in Comp Sci in high school. I'm a slef tought c++ programmer, also familiar with c#, php, html, assembly, some haskell. Do I stand a chance or should I just go straight to McDs?

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement
Try Gamedevmap

Gamasutra.com also has a list of companies.

Hopefully someone else will post some more.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Obscure
Try Gamedevmap

Gamasutra.com also has a list of companies.

So lets say I find a company, how do I get in touch? Lets say they don't list internships, can I call them? Send a letter?

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

I like gamedevmap too. I find David Perry's map harder to use.
Once you've made a list of target companies, you have to do research on them.
You apply for an internship in the same way you apply for a job.
I used to recommend calling, but since I found myself in the position of the guy who receives resumes, I've changed my tune on that. Email your resume to them - your email is your cover letter, and it must have the resume as an attachment. And don't be an idiot - "resume.doc" is the stupidest filename. EVER.
http://www.igda.org/columns/gamesgame/gamesgame_Apr09.php

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by VanillaSnake21
So lets say I find a company, how do I get in touch? Lets say they don't list internships, can I call them? Send a letter?

Yes you could phone and ask to speak to someone in HR (get their name) and then ask them if they do internships. If they do then ask if you can send a copy of your resume, who to address it to and what method they prefer - snail mail or email - then hang up and send it straight over. (Include a "following our telephone conversation today....." line).

Whatever you do, don't try to "sell" yourself there and then over the phone. You may be psyched up to do an interview but the person on the other end of the phone wont be. They are almost certainly in the middle of something and have just answered the phone because it is ringing. They won't be mentally prepared to conduct an interview and all you will do is prevent them getting back to whatever it is they were doing - it wont result in a positive impression.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Thanks guys, I'll try and see what happens :)

Quote:Original post by Obscure

Google comes up with some results.
The eleventh result looks interesting. ;)
http://www.nycgameindustry.com/ is another great place to look into. It's only a few months old but growing.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement