Pixel art feedback please

Started by
7 comments, last by jhypsyshah 14 years, 10 months ago
I'd like opinions about two styles that I am experimenting with for my current project. Which of the following do you like better and why? Is there anything that needs improvement in either screenshot? #1 #2 [Edited by - Dathgale on June 3, 2009 11:35:49 PM]
Advertisement
I think i might be leaning towards #2, the smoother look and richer coloring maybe why. Its was also easier to tell that the character is a top-down view of a guy with a sword/shield, which i was somewhat confused about initially (it is a top-down view of a guy with a sword/shield right?).
Quote:Original post by Gyrthok
(it is a top-down view of a guy with a sword/shield right?).

Haha, yes it is. I guess I need to work on that don't I?
Take a look at this site for a pretty detailed treatment on grass tiles. Don't get overwhelmed by some of the screenshots the guy uses, they're ridiculously good.

I think you're heading in the right direction with the first screenshot with the greater variety of color and fewer black outlines. You should change the border rocks to cover the edges of the tiles. If you could have them overlap, that would perfect. Also look at some references for drawing top-down people, it's a lot harder than it looks.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Bottom one is better, walls & grass are more clear.

Tips:
Cast shadows for player and walls.
Add some grass clumps & broken down wall sections to break uniformality.
Don`t hide walls/ground on mapped area witch are out of eye sight, use just darker colors.
repose charachters shield & sword, sword points to looking direction & shield protects from foreward attacks.

/Tyrian
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Would you say the following is a good direction to be going with these graphics?

Fast & easy modifications:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3598/battlementsh.png

/Tyrian
Here are some samples I made you can see, they were all done in paint except for the logo at the end, which was one of the first things I did in gimp. All the pictures are made pixel by pixel, I also found a cool way to make textures that I'll show yoy once I retrieve my files from another computer. It isn't hard to make good quality pixel by pixel. As for screenshots, i like the first one more.

http://www.freewebs.com/serpentania/apps/photos/
C++: Where your friends have access to your private members
pixel art sample for josh- not exactly a screen shot

I like the 3D effect, I didn't feel like saving it as a .png..it was slapped & saved in paint.
myspace.com/jhypsyshah

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement