[HELP] Game design

Started by
14 comments, last by harleyquin 14 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys, this is my first post on gamedev, probably going to be first of many, But i was referred here due to having a lot of confusion and trouble. I am aspiring to become a game developer(even indie games) would be fun, or maybe a small MMO some day, But I have a question about it (I read that other topic about game design by another new member) 1st. I was told I should start with delphi, since it is a good way to start programming, but i'm just not able to find anything on it. People also said python, but i really dunno what to start with. Also, I cannot seem to find any REAL guides on coding, ive found a full e-book of c++ for dummies, but the explanations just confuse me, more than help. So i was told to start easy, so could anyone PLEASE please give me a link too an e-book or a FULL legitmate good tutorial on learning ____ language? the one that you guys recommend for starting out. thanks so much (also, purchasing books is outta the question at the moment, financial trouble)
Advertisement
I'm more of a C++ guy, but Python is great.
You can start here:

Python Official web:
http://python.org/

Download the latest 2.x release:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/python-2.6.2.msi

A nice tutorial for the 2.x branch:
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

This should be enough, but son't hesitate to ask if you have any doubt!
Great book for learning Python, available as a free PDF and HTML - Think Python.

Wing IDE is a great IDE for Python development and they provide a free version called Wing IDE 101. You can download it here.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
God you guys are great :p
thanks alot!
So i should probably forget about delphi, and just start wit python, THEN go into c?
I don't know who actually uses Delphi nowadays. I think certain business sectors do.

I really wouldn't both with C. Nowadays C is used for Linux and uhmm, some embedded systems stuff. If you're wanting to get into game development you'll really have very little use for it. Spend some time learning Python, because there is a hell of a lot of things you can do with it. Eventually you may want to branch out into C++ and/or C#, but a strong knowledge of Python will be able to carry you quite far.

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:I was told I should start with delphi, since it is a good way to start programming
Delphi is basically Borland's variant of Pascal. Really, Pascal probably doesn't get as much love as it deserves. It's not mainstream enough now though. Python and C# get the attention these days, and if you are a starting game developer, mainstream is important. So start with Python. There isn't a best option, but if you're getting into programming, it's better than many others for a first language.

There's no obligation you go into C. It all depends on what you find yourself doing. Focus on one language for now, there's no rush to make long term plans.
By C i meant the branch of c
as in c++ C#
I'll probably start with python, then go into C++

But yeah, thanks alot guys
!
Quote:Original post by harleyquin
as in c++ C#

C++ and C# are utterly different languages. Don't be fooled by the naming.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by harleyquin
as in c++ C#

C++ and C# are utterly different languages. Don't be fooled by the naming.

They are?
I heard they are really similar.
D;

okay, so C++ or c#?
Thats the new debate,
which is best for gaming(AFTER PYTHON)

thanks!
Cross that bridge when you come to it. For now, stick to Python.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement