Sign in to follow this  
ImpulseOverload

SetTexture from single face of CubeTexture? (DX9)

I've been trying to create a simple debugging function for displaying a cube cross of a cube map texture. I want to be able to set each face of the cube texture so I can draw 6 quads with each face individually. I know I can get the surface of each face on the cube texture with GetCubeMapSurface, and I was able to create a scratch texture created from this surface and then set that texture. It worked and I got all faces to draw... but I'm really trying to avoid using a scratch texture and having to copy surfaces because this function is not intended to keep around these scratch textures thus I'm suffering from huge performance problems doing this each frame. I tried to use the GetContainer(IID_IDirect3DCubeTexture9,&pContainer) on the surface but no matter which face the surface is when I cast pTexture = (LPDIRECT3DBASETEXTURE9)pContainer; and set the texture, The rendered face is always the same. Option 3 would be to write a custom shader that looks up the faces uv from a set cube map and texCube, I'd like to avoid this too because I don't want to create a special case shader here. Is there a proper way to set a cube texture face as the current texture?? It seems to me that this should be really straight forward and possible to do. I can get 1 face to draw, why not the others? Any help would be great!!

Quote:
Original post by ImpulseOverload
Option 3 would be to write a custom shader that looks up the faces uv from a set cube map and texCube, I'd like to avoid this too because I don't want to create a special case shader here.

That sounds pretty straightforward to me. [smile]

You can't get individual textures from a cube texture because a cube texture doesn't contain individual textures. It contains a collection of surfaces. This is why the container you get is always the same, there's only one container for those 6 surfaces.

Yeah that's what I thought, I figured I was hitting a dead end with that. Thanks for the confirmation. I implemented it thought a shader, it works great and the performance is really high. The real tricky part was must making sure the faces were flipped and rotated correctly.