Sign in to follow this  
TiagoCT

[HELP] Cpp Book Recommendation

Dear C++ Programmers, I'm not new to programming. In fact, everything began 3 years ago on my TI-84. Since then, I've learned Matlab last year only for College, and besides being powerful, it's also too simple. I would now like to evolve. I have to do it on my own, since I'll only be learning C++ 2 year from now and I really don't want to wait that long. So, I began searching for a good book and found this one: C++ Without Fear. People's comments were good and stuff so I decided to order it. Unfortunately, the book is for the absolute beginner, so it doesn't cover Advanced Topics and may be a bit boring to read. What I ask from you is a recommendation: I want to read the book I ordered. What I would like to do now is to order a second one that does cover those advanced topics. If it ONLY covers advanced topics, even better. What I want for the book is: 1. GUI Programming; 2. Game Programming and Graphics; 3. Hardware Control and Programming (robotics); Would you please advise me a good book that covers advanced topics and specially these mentioned topics? Thank you in Advanced, Best Regards, Tiago

books about how to learn C++ you can basicly choose, c'se in beginners view there are all the same :)

books I believe every C++ programmer should have :
* The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference : a brilliant books about the C++ STL but not recommended to learn from (extreme detailed). more as reference.

* C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices : a book with rules about C++/STL , doesn't learn you C++ but improves you C++ .
this is part of the C++ In-Depth Series, a extreme good collection :)

* Programming Windows (Fifth Edition) : teaches you how to program in windows (gui & 2D graphics programming)

game programming : 2D or 3D ? directX or OpenGL ? please be more accurate .

robotics, can't help you with that :(

hope this helps :)

Hi!

Thank you for replying and thank you for the book recommendations!
I'll be sure to check them out.

About the game programming, I would like to know how to program
in both 2D and 3D. Also, I would like to know how to program games
in both DirectX and OpenGL. The problem is: I also want to learn
how to program WITHOUT any DirectX and OpenGL, I mean, being similar
to the TI-84 Programming, where you can control individual pixels.
That's how I've been programming games. Also, if the book only teaches
DirectX and OpenGL, what about Linux and other platforms?

Thank you in Advance,

Tiago