Sign in to follow this  
mickeyren

detecting adjectives, phrases in text

Hi I have a limited set of nouns, say, "age, height, build, etc". Lets say for instance the text says something like this: "She is fairly young in age, around 5"10 in height and has a thin build". Another sample would be "That person's age is very old, but his height is taller than the other person. When he was young he has a masculine build" Basically I'm trying to detect the adjectives that describes my set of nouns, in this case, I need to pluck these adjectives from the 2 sample texts above: age: young, very old height: 5"10, taller (than the other person) build: thin, masculine I think the thing to figure out here is the adjectives can come before or after the noun, or it can come like 3 words before or 3 words after the noun occured. Also take note that the main thing here is not that adjectives but basically i need to find those words that the user entered that is related to the noun. eg, the user can enter words that are not adjective and I must find a way to detect those too. Appreciate anyone's ideas here. Thanks.

Looks like you will have to parse the text. I don't know if there is any existing natural-language parsing libraries out there but i'm sure a quick google search will tell you.

If you are not familiar with parsing the basic idea is that you need to create a tree structure which breaks the sentence down into nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc and the relationships between each. Then you can find out the adjective a certain noun.

EDIT: A few libraries are mentioned here. Since you didn't specify what programming language you are using i can't help you much further there, but you can have a look at Wikipedia if you are interested in how Natural language processing works.