FBX questions

Started by
4 comments, last by immuner 14 years, 9 months ago
Hi, for some time now I have been working with importing FBX files to my engine. However, i have run onto some issues I would like your help: 1) In order to read your mesh you go through each polygon and through each face. Is it possible to read your mesh using indices in order to avoid storing unnecessary duplicate data? I have found a way of doing that by using GetPolygonVertices() but that doesnt seem to support UV mapping per vertex-face (where same position can have more than one UV coord). 2) How can you tell 3ds max to export a mesh's tangents and bitangents? 3) In max's materials you can set bump maps. Where can you set normal maps so that they will be available under KFbxSurfaceMaterial::sNormalMap? Thanks
Keyboard not found. Press F1 to Continue.
Advertisement
The vertices can be save directly or indirectly (indexed) in the scene memory. The UVs have an added complexity to them in that there is another layer of abstraction built upon that, so in total I think there are like 4 or 5 different ways to save UV's in FBX. I wrote some code that is available through my website that shows you how to extract all the different possiblities using C++. http://www.marek-knows.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=353

In the source code I also show you how to extract all bump, normal etc data from the saved mesh.
How do you extract the indexed verts? Currently i am doing it myself as an offline process but is there a built in function for that?
Hi,

i have a problem extracting bone animation from FBX.
Currently FBX uses a GetGlobalFromCurrentTake and GetLocalXFromCurrentTake that take a time variable as an argument in order to return the current matrix.
However, since i am using this in an offline process and these functions are built in, i cannot understand how this is being calculated (online processing of fbx files is forbidden as the loading time is too long).
Does anyone know how this function interpolates with time to return the new matrix?
I would also like to know how this is calculated. If you don't get a reply here, post your question on the autodesk forum here: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-fbx/fbx-sdk/
I have posted this already in the fbx forums, but either noone seems to care or we are dealing with some kind of dark secret here :).

I assume this has to do with interpolating splines between the bones. It will require some testing though.

Do you have any ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement