• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
abhishekdey

OpenGL Beginning GLSL From Scratch!!

This topic is 3357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, This is a very general question about beginning with GLSL. A week back i looked into wot GLSL is made up of. Understood wot are Fragment shader and Vertex shaders. Till now i looked into 5-6 GLSL shaders and learnt that GLSL is totally based upon Formulaes and Theories. I have a very little experience with Graphics technology and Hardly 6 Months hands-on experience with OpenGL. Should i start GLSL at this stage? Any primer that is required for starting GLSL? An online source, link is appreciated! Regs

Advertisement
GLSL only requires formulas because using GLSL means you will be writing graphics routines on your own rather than letting OpenGL do them for you mostly.

Obviously, you should try to become familiar with OpenGL and Graphics Technology in general as much as you can before you attempt to write your own routines to do the same things from scratch (which is where GLSL comes in).

That said, there is no harm in playing around with GLSL if you feel like you are capable. The best thing to do is start at the following tutorials (the best that I have found on the net so far) and see if you feel like you can dabble:

http://www.clockworkcoders.com/oglsl/tutorials.html
http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/

In addition, if you decide to learn GLSL, I would strongly recommend starting out with a shader development tool like RenderMonkey. Those tools will let you focus on shaders alone rather than having to worry about writing full-fledge C/OpenGL code just so you can see shaders in action.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Sajid

Hey Thanx Sajid..i'l try with Rendermonkey. As u said no C/OpenGL thing. That would actually let me focus on the things in GLSL. Also i did go through lighthouse3d tutorials but i was kinda confuse because the programs were a direct jump for me!

Newz Thanx once again!!
Regs

Abhishek Dey

After I finish the video tutorials on my game called Ghost Toast, I'll start making video tutorials on GLSL.

In the mean time, if you want some help with OpenGL programming, check out the video tutorials that are on my website now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!