• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dawakeup

wartacs: looking for advice

This topic is 3332 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody! /* you can skip this if you are not interested in introduction */ I am new here so I guess I should introduce myself. My name is wakeup and I am an esports junkie from Germany. I like and have played a lot of computer games, at the moment I play UrbanTerror and Warcraft3:DotA mostly. I learned C as well as Common Lisp by reading (very nice) books, but I am still very new to programming. I program under linux using emacs and GNU tools, I care about portability. I am looking forward to program (olskool 2D) games with allegro (inspired by free lunch design) and I hope this is a good place to get help. Now to the real business :) I am planning on creating a two dimensional, top down team-shooter with a futuristic setting. (Maybe you played Crimson Land, this is what originally inspired me, but Counterstrike 2D comes closer). Also I plan on having players to choose from classes instead of weapons. I want to write in C. You can find everything I wrote related to this here: wartacs mercurial repository I think this is helpful for understanding what I am doing since I did some drawings you can look at. By the way, I am calling it 'wartacs' atm. Now I know that this is a rather big thing for a programming newbie like me, but well I am not in a hurry and dont know where else to start. What I already have: * I can parse map-files (text files) of my own syntax which gets me a linked list of "shapes" (a series of points(x,y-coordiates) plus a character to tell what type of shape it is (for example solid wall, floor, energy-barrier, ...) What comes next: * I planned on starting off with a tool called "wmapt" (wartacs map tool) which can then read a mapfile and output a map (in ascii, image, whatever) for human eyes to look at. * I figured that if a human can connect a sum of points and fill out the resulting shape, a computer can do it too. That's why I have chosen the map-format * next thing I need to do is to create a map-structure out of the parsing results, now I have two questions: - how is a map struct supposed to be? I thought of a string containing the name, and a two dimensional array of "units" each having flags giving info about what they are made of. I am looking for hints here. - second, how do I get a shape onto that map? If I use my aproach of the map struct I would need to check if a coordinate is contained in a shape, and I have no idea on how to do this. This probably sounds strange, please check out the link to my repository I gave you, it will hopefully make things clearer. Anyways feel free to ask questions. Also I have not "locked" onto a game library yet. I am thinking about using allegro and already read some documentation but if you think SDL or whatever could be "better" for me, feel free to tell me why. Edit: Now that I found out how I can insert links/images/etc a little update. sketch image visual explanation: one pixel is a "unit", the light-grey things are "shapes", dark-grey is the floor, the black thing is the size of a player, the white pixel is a projectile.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!