Help needed creating stand alone distributable

Started by
2 comments, last by MJP 14 years, 10 months ago
I have attempted to create a stand alone release version of a demo I have made. It works fine on my own computer but I don't want to send it off when I am applying for jobs unless I am sure it will work on other machines. I was trying to get it running on a friends laptop and was getting a dx.dll error upon program load but this was solved by installing the latest dx runtime. I have included this in the rar file for the demo. As I don't have access to any other machines really than my own I was wondering if anybody would mind downloading my demo from the link below and trying it out on their machine. It's only 10Mb. http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmzlkwunzdi/Warpath Distributable.rar Another thing, I tried it on another friends machine, but when I tried to load it I got one of them Microsoft error crashes where it asks to send an error report. Could that happen because his graphics card doesn't support the pixel shader version I am using (3.0)? Thanks
She got a hat and all that hat says is asshole
Advertisement
For a C++ DirectX program you'll typically make an installer that handles copying all of your program files, installing the DirectX redistributable (the one that you find in your SDK install directory), and installing the Visual C++ Runtime redistributable. It's the best way the ensure that the user has all of the prerequisites before they run your app.

As for the crash...that could be for any number of reasons. It's possible that it's being caused by your app using some feature that the device doesn't support, but I couldn't tell without seeing the debugging info.

I'd like to do this too.
Does anyone have a zipped up installer project to start from?
Links to tutorials on making installer?
There are lot of good tools available for making installers, like WiX and NIS. Personally I use Inno Setup...it uses script files that let you write code to do any custom actions you want, or you can use the wizard if you want. I uploaded the script I use for my game here, if you want to have a look.

If you want to modify that, you'll of course want to replace everything that says "JumpSwitch" with the name of your app. Also make sure you generate a new AppID (Tools->Generate GUID). Then in the Files section you put in all of your game content files along with the redistributable installers, and in Icons you put what shortcuts you want added.

In the Code section I have a routine that launches the .NET 3.5 and XNA Framework redists...you can just replace those with the DirectX and VC++ redists. I do registry queries to determine if those are already installed...I don't know offhand if there's equivalent queries for DX and VC++ so you can just take out all of the code except for the ShellExec's that actually launch the redists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement