XNA Firing and Storing Values in Lists

Started by
9 comments, last by adt7 14 years, 10 months ago
hi again. i am a little confused with adding items to Lists. I am writing a 2D Fortress game where the user controls a turret and fires bullets at incoming Sprites. at the moment I am trying to write the Game logic for bullets, here is an outline of what I want to do. 1/ Create a new bullet at the location of the barrel of the gun 2/ Set the Bullet shooting off in the direction the barrel is facing(i know the rotation) seemed easier than it was for me; here is what i am trying:

if(enough time has passed since you last fired)
{
    create a new Bullet at the position of the barrel
    get the rotation of the barrel and transform a vector to the currant rotation
    set the bullet moving in the direction at a given speed.
    !!** Add this bullet to the BulletList **!! //This is what I'm confused with
}
struct Bullet
{
      public Vector2 Pos;
      public Vector2 Dir;
      public void Update()
      {
          Pos = new Vector2(Pos.X + Dir.X, Pos.Y + Dir.Y);
      }
}

Bullet[] bullet;
List<Bullet[]> Bulletlist = new List<Bullet[]>();
private void FireBullet()
{            
   if (timeScinceFire > FireDelay)
   {
         bullet[BulletList.Count + 1].Position = //some code to get the position 
         bullet[BulletList.Count + 1].Direction= //Some code to get the vect & transform
         BulletList.Add(bullet[BulletList.Count + 1]);
   }
}
private void DrawBullets()
{
    foreach(Bullet bullet in Bulletlist)
    {
         bullet.Update();
         spriteBatch.Draw(tBullet, bullet.Pos, Color.White)
    }
}
However this will not work as it think it should. Problems: 1/ Bullet does not Update() and move forward; 2/ first bullet draws at (1,1) ALWAYS Can you guys see any problems?
bullet[BulletList.Count + 1] 
I don't like this bit. Im not sure why I just don't think it looks right
Advertisement
Again, from the last topic, why are you using arrays here?

Bullet[] bullet;List<Bullet[]> Bulletlist = new List<Bullet[]>();

Why not just a list of Bullets?

List<Bullet> Bulletlist = new List<Bullet>();

Your FireBullets method would then be, for example:

private void FireBullet(){               if (timeScinceFire > FireDelay)   {         Bullet bullet;         bullet.Position = //some code to get the position          bullet.Direction= //Some code to get the vect & transform         BulletList.Add(bullet);   }}

This isn't so much an XNA question as it is a general C# question around the usage of lists.
Quote:Original post by Andy474
However this will not work as it think it should. Problems:
1/ Bullet does not Update() and move forward;
2/ first bullet draws at (1,1) ALWAYS

Can you guys see any problems?

1) I would suspect this is because you have a List of Array items (kind of a monster of a multi-dimensional list). When you do the following:

foreach(Bullet bullet in Bulletlist)    {         bullet.Update();...

It looks like it's calling .Update() on the array, not on each array item. I think you would need another loop going through the items of that, bah! Just use a single list like adt7 mentions. List<Bullet>.

2) Unsure of this but it would be somewhere in this code:

bullet[BulletList.Count + 1].Position = //some code to get the position          bullet[BulletList.Count + 1].Direction= //Some code to get the vect & transform

You would need to give us the code for setting the position but all you should need to do is set Bullet.Position = new Vector2<x, y> to set it somewhere. I would also suggest making sure to use normalized amounts otherwise you'll get some wonky speeds at different angles.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Quote:Original post by adt7
This isn't so much an XNA question as it is a general C# question around the usage of lists.

thanks :) I usually program in C++ i only started using C# a few weeks ago so I am a bit of a 'noob' you might say with Lists. I am a little sketchy with the .NET framework;

i removed the List of arrays as you suggested. now I have the problem that my bullet still wont Update(); properly as the vector is always the same

struct Bullet{     public Vector2 Pos;     public Vector2 Dir;     public void Update()     {          Pos = new Vector2(Pos.X + Dir.X, Pos.Y + Dir.Y);     }}private void FireBullet(){               if (timeScinceFire > FireDelay)    {        Bullet bullet;        bullet.Pos = new Vector2(myTurret.PosVect.X - 88, myTurret.PosVect.Y);        bullet.Dir = new Vector2(-2, 0);        myTurret.Ammo--;        Bulletlist.Add(bullet);                 }}

is this because of my code in Bullet::Update() or the way i am firing the bullets in FireBullet()?
I can't see where the problem lies, although I'd personally write your update method as:

this.Pos += this.Dir;

The this keywords are probably redundant, they just help my thought process.

You'd be better off wraping up your Pos and Dir in properties, but it's probably a better to get it working before you think about that.

I wish I could help more, but I'm separated from my dev tools for the weekend so I'm unable to quickly code up something to test this.
thanks for that :) looks much neater
this.Pos += this.Dir

i cannot see why this isn't working I have run it and added a breakpoint at this point of code and it executes. so the only conclusion I can see if that this.Dir is a value of (0,0) for some reason.

EDIT :: Although i wonder why i cant do this

private void DrawBullets(){      foreach(Bullet bullet in Bulletlist)      {           bullet.Pos += new Vector2(-2, 0); //Error           spriteBatch.Draw(tBullet, bullet.Pos, Color.White);      }}

Error 1 Cannot modify members of 'bullet' because it is a 'foreach iteration variable'
If you've got a breakpoint on it in VS you should be able to hover over Dir and see it's value, same with Pos.
aah thanks, ok so both pos, and Dir have the correct values. although i notice that bullet.Pos ALWAYS has the same value thats'd be my problem
Try switching bullet to a class instead of a struct. Not ideal, but structs don't play nice with foreach loops and different solutions are needed.

Edit:

If that works, switch it back to a struct and try the following:

for (int i = 0; i < bulletList.Count; i++) {     Bullet bullet = bulletList;     bullet.Update();       spriteBatch.Draw(tBullet, bullet.Pos, Color.White);       bulletList = bullet;}

That is just off the top of my head, hopefully it will compile and run.
public class Bullet{     public Vector2 Pos;     public Vector2 Dir;     public void Update()     {          this.Pos += this.Dir;     }}

I changed it to a class this has fixed the issue. I was just playing on my xBox and it occured to me you can edit member varibles in a foreach iteration now it works just great thanks a lot atd7

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement