Multitexturing in openGL without shaders

Started by
8 comments, last by Boltimus 14 years, 10 months ago
I'm using multitexturing in openGL without shaders. Basically I'm using calls to glActiveTexture. I got the two textures to blend via interpolation. The problem is the that the second texture doesn't rotate with the first one. For example if I were to have two textures, one of the earth and the other of the moon and I placed them on a sphere, the earth texture would rotate when I rotate the sphere (by rotate I mean glRotate), but the moon texture stays stationary. I can't put my finger on it, perhaps I'm setting up the second texture unit wrong? Do I need to rotate the second texture using glRotate on the Texture Matrix? Thanks, Bolt [Edited by - Boltimus on June 5, 2009 1:42:34 PM]
~Bolt"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." This I did...
Advertisement
No one has come across this ??
~Bolt"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." This I did...
Check the texcoords for both textures.
What exatly are you rotating ??
the sphere ? the view ? the texture coordinates of either texture ?

The approach to maintain is to attach (multiple) texcoords to every vertex.
Translating/rotating the vertices should not affect the texture coordinates.
(as the texture maintains its composition on the model)
so no, you should not be rotating texture coordinates (basically)

post some code on how you set up multitexture and your render calls
I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Can you post code and/or screenshots?

Textures generally should not "rotate". You supply texture coordinates when sending the vertex data (for instance in immediate mode call glMultiTexCoord for each texture unit that you activated, per vertex), the vertex will be modified by ModelView but that has no bearing on the texture coordinates.
Thanks for your responses, your questions help me fill in the blanks here ...

Quote:
What exatly are you rotating ??
the sphere ? the view ? the texture coordinates of either texture ?

I'm rotating the view around the sphere. So as you move the ouse left or right the "globe" rotates about its own axis. Like spinning a globe.

Here is some sketch code ...

gl.glActiveTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE0);gl.glEnable(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D);gl.glTexGeni(GL.GL_S, GL.GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL.GL_SPHERE_MAP);gl.glTexGeni(GL.GL_T, GL.GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL.GL_SPHERE_MAP);gl.glBindTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, (int) result.texture.getID());gl.glActiveTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE1);gl.glEnable(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D);gl.glTexGeni(GL.GL_S, GL.GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL.GL_SPHERE_MAP);gl.glTexGeni(GL.GL_T, GL.GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL.GL_SPHERE_MAP);gl.glEnable(GL.GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S);gl.glEnable(GL.GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T);gl.glBindTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D,(Integer) result.texture.getID());gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL.GL_COMBINE);gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_COMBINE_RGB, GL.GL_INTERPOLATE);gl.glTexEnvfv(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV_COLOR,              new float[]{0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.5f}, 0);gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_SOURCE0_RGB, GL.GL_PREVIOUS);gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_SOURCE1_RGB, GL.GL_TEXTURE);gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_OPERAND0_RGB, GL.GL_SRC_COLOR);gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_OPERAND1_RGB, GL.GL_SRC_COLOR);gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_SOURCE2_RGB, GL.GL_CONSTANT);gl.glTexEnvi(GL.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL.GL_OPERAND2_RGB, GL.GL_SRC_ALPHA);

Just an FYI, I'm using JOGL, which is the reason why you're seeing the gl.xxxx and GL.xxxx other than that, its the same as openGL.
Okay, I admit I haven't played with spherical texture mapping or multitexturing before, but I think I figured this out.

Generated spherical coordinates are apparently fixed in eye space, so they won't move when you rotate the camera. The reason they still move on texture unit 0 is because you did not call gl.glEnable(); with the texture generation commands for it, so instead of generating texture coordinates on the fly it's using coordinates that you supplied yourself as part of the draw call (you did send some, didn't you?). They are probably on a per-texture-unit basis.

Bottom line is, if you want to use GL_SPHERE_MAP to generate texture coordinates for spheres, you need to enable texture coordinate generation for each separate texture unit as well as transform the texture matrix from eye space back into world space. If I'm horribly wrong, surely someone will be along to correct me. :)
GL_SPHERE_MAP is not for texturing spheres. It is used to give a shiny appearance to objects, any objects, including spheres.
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Texturing_a_Sphere
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Thx for the replies. V-man, I used GLU to create the texture coordinates originally for texture0, but to no avail. How would I use this with multitexturing?

gluSphere just generate 1 pair of texcoords. If you want another, you write your own sphere code.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
That was the problem. It stinks that you generate multitexture coordinates for texture units greater than 1 like you can for texture unit 0. Anyhow, I took your advice V, and made my own "glusphere" where I added the multitexture coordinates, and normals and it works...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement