Sprite strips

Started by
2 comments, last by Dolf 14 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I was thinking of creating a sprite strip tool so that an artist can say something like "this image is 300 pixels wide, 250 high, and there are 100 frames", and then it automatically takes the width and height and calculates the right offsets for use in game. Maybe add a string name to it so I only have to call "WalkAnimation" in the game itself. But I was wondering, hasn't someone already done this before? Or is there an easier approach? Cheers,
Advertisement
SpriteBuddy is representational of one such alternative. Instead, you select the rectangular region for each frame of animation. A lot more flexible but a little more time and effort is required.

SpriteBuddy is free and decent enough but it's not quite perfect (the GUI could use a lot of work) and tends to crash when you least want it to.
Normally in the projects I have worked on, the artist delivers the animations as separate images. I usually put these images together into a sprite strip using GlueIt. Then in my game's animation class I draw a region of that image to the screen based on the current frame.
Thanks lack-o-comment, I'll check that out.

As to shadowisadog, how does your game know howmany pixels wide a single frame is? and how does it know how high it is? and howmany images are in there?? And howlong should it display the current frame?

My point is that I don't want that information in my executable, I don't want to recompile to change any of that, or have it scattered in .h or .cpp files, I want to have that in the file description ( by using a tool, even if i have to make it myself ). And only the class that loads the sprite will ever know about that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement