Need Some Game Related Help

Started by
5 comments, last by Stani R 14 years, 10 months ago
Hello guys i just found these fourms and i need some help i want to go into the game industry but i dont know what for and i was thinking maybe if i post some stuff a experienced person can help me. math- Im fast at mental math i usually pick math related stuff up quick. Creative- Im pretty creative i can think up good stories in writing class. and of course im a heavy gamer if you need anymore stuff just ask me i looked into game programming but im kinda so so on it id like to learn it but i dont know how hard it would be and what about level design or is that the same range as game programming and what are some good schools to chose from? how long is the degree? im still in high school but may leave to get my G.E.D. Thanks for your help fallen,
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Fallen-
if you need anymore stuff just ask me
This is super nit-picky and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but can you use more full-stops and proper punctuation and capitalization?

i looked into game programming but im kinda so so on it id like to learn it but i dont know how hard it would be
It takes years to get really good, but the journey is half the fun (assuming you enjoy programming). Actually, the journey never ends. Programming languages are constantly being evolved and created, and there's always something new to learn. Always. It's definitely possible though. You're young and have a lot of time in front of you. You can get a good head start and start learning now, or you can wait until college and take some computer science classes. Either way, programming is something that takes practice. Lots and lots of practice. Which means it takes time.

what about level design or is that the same range as game programming
I don't know what you mean by "same range as game programming." Do you mean same level of difficulty?

what are some good schools to chose from?
There are lots and lots of good schools. I chose the University of Utah because I live right by it and got a scholarship there. There are probably some decent schools in your state, or if you wanted to leave your state, there are good schools in lots of places. Sorry, I can't really recommend one. There's just too many and I'm no expert.

how long is the degree?
Depends on where you go, what degree you get, and how many classes you take each semester. Typically though, you earn a Bachelors degree (probably in computer science or something like that) in four years.

im still in high school but may leave to get my G.E.D.
Stay in school. Get that high school diploma.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
sorry lol i have texting grammer.As for the same range i meant same difficulty so I was figuring some where around 2-4 years, programming would probbly be fun but i dont know what language to start with i tried c++ and got into it a bit, but lost my focus from all the "hello world" things you have to make. If you could point me in the right direction youd be godly.

Thanks,
Yeah, that's what can make C++ difficult for beginners to start out with. Aside from all the C++ gotchas, you have to spend a long time with the language itself before you can start making pretty games and stuff. Choosing a language can be the hardest step in beginning. But to be honest, it's one of the steps that matters the least. In the end, you'll have to learn multiple programming languages anyway (and once you learn one it's easier to learn another). Just pick one. Throw darts at a board, toss coins, roll dice, write each choice on piece of paper and throw it down the stairs and grade them like a college professor. Just do it. Personally, I recommend trying C#, but there isn't any wrong (or right) choice. Getting a good book can help you out too.

As for creating levels... there's a lot that goes into that. Concept and design, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc. Becoming good at either requires a lot (I'd say roughly equal?) of time and devotion.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
I agree that it doesn't matter which language you start with (as long as it's not C++, C, or Assembly - those are mediocre candidates for your first language), which is why I'm going to make the choice for you: you're starting with Python :D Seriously, I wrote a model exporter for Blender in Python yesterday in about one hour, and that was the first time I've ever written a line of code in that language. That's not actually impressive or anything, but it shows that you can get started in it very easily. Another forum member here wrote a whole MMO server and client in Python in under four hours, and that was the first time for him to use Python, too. If you are interested in programming and want to see fast results, I think you could do a lot worse than starting with Python.
thanks a lot for your input guys ill start with python :D and hopefully work my way to C++ and others thanks a lot im going to get started asap. ill be around the board with tons of newb questions
In that case, after getting your feet wet, be sure to check out Pyglet. Later on you could look into PyOpenGL (or use OpenGL from pyglet) or move to C# and DirectX using XNA Game Studio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement