An oldie but classic game programingr question

Started by
3 comments, last by pctroll 14 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone. Ok so i'm new to the whole game programming field, but i used to do some programming like 5 years back during my undergrad. i've decided to go back into it but more focused into games. Now i know this is a common question all use noobs love to ask but, I was wondering in terms of lanuages where should I start out. I dont know if anyone has played GeoDefence on the iPhone but i was hopeing to make a game like that but for PC instead. I was wondering should I do the A-typical move of starting out with C# or should i go into Java since i wana make this a web-based game. Also, I was wondering if I should check out OpenGl. Is that ment for game programming or is that just for gamming graphics. Thanks alot for the help everyone.
Advertisement
Quote:An oldie but classic game programingr question
It is indeed. Why not search the dozens of threads made by people asking the same question as you? The answers are pretty much the same! Then you can post back here if you find that you're still confused about anything.
OpenGL is just a library for handling graphics. U can implement OpenGL in any programming language that supports it (c++,java,delphi etc). The functions are the same just have to get the right files for your language.
Thanx alot KiLLeR13iii I apperciate the explaination.
Quote:Original post by OpenSourceGamming
I was wondering should I do the A-typical move of starting out with C# or should i go into Java since i wana make this a web-based game.

If you want to develop a web-based game, imho, you should go into ActionScript3 / Flash. Why? Lots of sites, literally, for publishing / hosting your game and some of them also offer ad revenue sharing.

In the long run, It doesn't matter which language you learn but the fact that you truly learn the key concepts of game development.

Happy coding.
It's never too late to be a GameDever.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement