Sign in to follow this  
wiseguy12851

Problem working with DirectX 3DS

I use a series of 3D modeling applications to develop and Mesh objects for my games that I create, I am having the utmost difficulty with these particular files I found in an unusual format (From purely working with 3DS files) that I very quickly found to be in Direct X format ( .x ) All of my meshing programs whether advanced or simple have some sort of problem working with it along the way, Either they cannot import it, sometimes they may have errors, yet the game opens it perfectly, sometimes they cannot export it in .x but I am having the most difficult time I have already purchased high dollar software like Auto desk 3DS max, I use free software like Blender, and I use various other software in between. I need to be able to convert a direct x to 3DS so I can work with it using familiar programs and then translate back to direct x. To save from scaling and rotation issues it's best to be able to open an existing file. This poses an enormous problem as I have programs than can open and save as another and programs that can open another and save as Direct X but none that simply convert back and fourth .x and .3ds, it must be 100% free no trials unless they're fully functional, I don't mind buying but I want to make sure it works inside out and can save or export right before buying. Please give me advice on programs as I would rather develop my own and for free than buy other peoples objects

Sadly the story around .X files is not a happy one - you're bound to find many similar stories to yours on the internet. There is very little good quality tooling for .X in either direction (convert to or from).

Pandasoft or kW X-port are the only tools I know of, but given I don't use any of the pro DCC tools I don't really know whether these offer much for your problem.

You may have to write a custom conversion tool or write a loader for 3DS or whatever other format you want to use. Various people use things like FBX/Collada/3DS/IFS to get their data into Direct3D - just because .X has some 'native' support doesn't mean its the best option [smile]

cheers,
Jack

Why use the X format when it doesn't it into your pipline anyway?
Roll your own format with just the data you are interested in. Then write an exporter for your favorite modeling tool, like Max. I am sure your tools have other formats in common, without all the .x problems, for importing and exporting until your ready to finalize and export to your dx app.

Loading an X file isn't really saving you much work IMO. IT is fairly simple to create a mesh from your own buffers containing data you parsed yourself.