Sign in to follow this  

create your own model editor + models? (worth it?)

This topic is 3115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it truly necesarry to use models made in other programs? It seems like such a pain to learn to use the overly complicated software when all I want are simple models. Thus, my question, should I go through the work to create my own model editor (and almost certainly files too), or should I simply hax together a model loader and jump of the Blender bandwagon? I program in Java and a quick demo of what the editor can do can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6beXY1-l-Iw as of now it can define points (their positions are stored relative to another point so if an arm joint moves the points along the arm will move with it), connect those points to form triangles, and, of course, save and load my own brand of model files. Should i continue to work on it or am i wasting my time?

unless its a core requirement of your gameplay to have dynamic models created at realtime, I would stick with blender or some other common 3D format. Its a question of productivity. A 3D artist can work with the tools they are most familiar with and produce something far higher quality than something you can make within a reasonable amount of time.

-ddn

Wait a moment. Looking at the video, and by what you said, you want to create a whole modelling package just to make some models for your game. Did I get that right?

That's way too much work and yes, you are totally wasting your time reinventing tools that already exist. Do you want to create a game, or a modeling package?

If Blender is too convoluted for your taste, get Milkshape3D, which is shareware but very cheap and has a nice and simple interface. Perfect for low-poly modeling, but writing a custom exporter is more complicated. Go with a common format or write a Blender exporter for your own format (everything you need to know is here. click on "mesh" package). I find that exporting in my own format makes a model simpler to load in the engine, but I admittedly haven't tried exporting animations yet.

This topic is 3115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.