Sign in to follow this  
KiloKhan

I wish to create a MUD like game

The game i propose to make is a MUD like text based game. Its a kind of text based Wesnoth. But combines features of rpg. I still dont have a clear picture but i have a list of things which i want o include into my game. They are as follows. a. Your character is a medieval warrior like thing.He can handle weapons like sword, bow, mace battle-axe etc.He advances as per his experience,gets new weapons,improves his combat skills,buys weapons at shops using goldetc. b.The game engine is such that you can add new weapons,enemies and campaigns from files, so that you can extend the game further. So some sort of file format should be there for each file(weapons,enemies,scenarios). c. Its a textmode game. You must enter text commands like WIELD SWORD. or WIELD BOW,LOAD ARMORBUST,FIRE (where ARMORBUST is the name of the arrow to be loaded). But you can move around using single key commands N,S,E,W,U,D etc. It should display the map and your characters using appropriate symbols. As i said earlier the game is extendible so you can create new weapons and store them in files. (making them as destructive and interesting as possible) Each weapon can affect any of the attributes of the victim or the surrounding terrain. Please help me with some ideas. I like to make it in java. I have created small puzzle games but this is going to be my biggest project till date.

I'm not exactly sure what you want advice on, but you could start with something like client and server, making sure players can log in and send text to server and receive text back. Since it's a text game you can get away with storing all data server side and sending it as needed - this way you also don't need to update the client. In fact, if you want the MUD to be widely accessible, it's probably best to make it possible to interact with it using telnet - added advantage in that you do not have to develop your own client.

I don't think Java is necessarily the right language for this problem, but if you are set on Java, check out jcurses. This should help you with displaying the map around the player.

For actually processing the commands you are looking to use or write some kind of natural language parser. You could look at many of the other open-source MUDs on the internet to see how they did it. JavaCC will come in handy if you decide to roll your own.