Problem with glDrawArrays

Started by
5 comments, last by Stani R 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi friends! This is my RenderBackground code, it is just a square and a texture, my problem is that if I remove first 2 lines (glBindBuffer), the code does not work, so my question is, why does not work without these lines? I thought glDrawArrays didn't need glBindBuffer. Any idea or suggestion about what is going on? Thanks in advance.

glBindBuffer(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);
glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);

float vertices[] = {
        -0.5, 0.5, 0.0,             
        -0.5, -0.5, 0.0,            
        0.5, -0.5, 0.0,             
        0.5, 0.5, 0.0,              
    };

short texcoords[] = {
        0, 1,      
        0, 0,      
        1, 0,       
        1, 1,      
    };

glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
	glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, vertices);
    glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_SHORT, 0, texcoords);

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); 
	glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D,m_texture_id_fondo); 
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT); 
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);    
	glColor4f(1, 1, 1, 1);
	glPushMatrix();
		glTranslatef(256,256,0);
		glScalef(100,100,0);
		glDrawArrays(GL_QUADS, 0, 4);
	glPopMatrix();
	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); 

glDisableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);
	glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Advertisement
Did you bind a buffer somewhere before that, maybe in your main drawing code on the previous frame? If so, that buffer would still be bound, which would explain why you need to unbind it here first.

By the way, you don't need to set glTexParameter every time you draw, that's just wasting instructions.
Yes, probably that is the problem. If I use this code on my constructor, should I call glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0); after uploading data to the video card?

// buffer for vertex positions    float vertex_positions[]={ -0.5, 0.5, 0, -0.5, -0.5, 0, 0.5, 0.5, 0, 0.5, -0.5, 0 };	glGenBuffers( 1, &m_vertex_positions_buffer_id );	glBindBuffer( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, m_vertex_positions_buffer_id );    glBufferData( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 3*sizeof(float)*4, vertex_positions, GL_STATIC_DRAW );	// texcoords    float vertex_texcoord[]={ 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0};    glGenBuffers(1, &m_vertex_texcoords_buffer_id );    glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, m_vertex_texcoords_buffer_id );    glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 2*sizeof(float)*4, vertex_texcoord, GL_STATIC_DRAW );    // buffer for indices    unsigned char indices[]={ 0, 1, 2, 1, 3, 2};    glGenBuffers(1, &m_vertex_indices_buffer_id );	glBindBuffer(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, m_vertex_indices_buffer_id);    glBufferData(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(unsigned char)*6, indices, GL_STATIC_DRAW);
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Turn them off after drawing with them

glBindBuffer(..., value);
glBindBuffer(..., value);
// value is the current active source for draw data

glDraw

glBindBuffer(..., 0);
glBindBuffer(..., 0);
// buffers disabled to allow drawing from your local arrays for renderbackground
// useing gl*Pointer() calls
The way it works is, if you have a VBO bound, then the last parameter of gl*Pointer is the offset in the buffer and not the pointer to your data. So if you want to draw without VBO (just plain VA) after drawing with VBO, you of course have to unbind the VBO first. And glDrawArrays works with the VBO if a VBO is bound, too.
I'm using glDrawArrays and glDrawElements in the same program, is that a problem?

Thanks for replies.
No.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement