Sign in to follow this  
m_apfelbeck

My game project: Balloon Blocks

I’m working on a game for PAX10 and Dream Build Play 2009. My game, Balloon Blocks, is a soft body physics based match-3 game with intuitive game play and simple, inviting graphics. Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdTXl35_XpU ScreenShot: <a> Playable PC Build (Beta): http://creativecoggames.com/Beta/BalloonBlocks.zip If any of you can please take a minute to check out the video or try my playable build and give me some feedback I’d appreciate it. You can PM me, reply here or email me at m.apfelbeck(at)gmail.com; good and bad feedback both. Thanks!

Worked for me :D

Played for abit, easily can be addicting. One problem though, when I was playing, I could only unfreeze once. t told me it was 'ready' but no matter how many times I tried it wouldn't unfreeze again :/

Thanks for your input guys!

Asheh, did the installer fail for you? It's supposed to download .NET 3.5 and the XNA redist if you don't have those things, but I've had a couple people mention that it doesn't work right.

Powell, thanks for the bug report, I'll try and find that and fix it(works for me for some reason).

Decided to get it a second glance and played for a few through different modes. I am surprised that a well thought out game (maybe not the most original in design) has so few people posting in the thread. Other than that unfreeze thing I talked about, the only other problem I found is that it is a silent game.

Quote:
Original post by Powell
Decided to get it a second glance and played for a few through different modes. I am surprised that a well thought out game (maybe not the most original in design) has so few people posting in the thread. Other than that unfreeze thing I talked about, the only other problem I found is that it is a silent game.

I'm trying to focus on my strengths and I'm a developer, not a designer so I'm OK with being a little derivative. I managed to repro you're unfreeze bug but I haven't fixed it yet.

There should be sounds, maybe the default volume is too low?

I'm duly impressed. The physics were quite stable, though I did once see two blocks in the same spot. The controls were a little unintuitive (took me a while to figure out how to rotate the blocks). Could I suggest a more typical setup? Left and right arrows translate and up and down arrows rotate. I don't see the need to separate these two actions, unless I'm missing something. The "unfreeze" option was a little confusing - I'm guessing it's "waking up" blocks which have been stationary for too long, but I'm not sure and wouldn't have guessed even that if I hadn't worked with physics programming a bit before. The recharge timer for it is too long, IMO. The GUI was quite nice and the animations very pleasant. Sometimes the confirmations of your choices were a little annoying, though.

I was pretty bad at the game. Especially at the "Clear" mode, in which I gave up after a good while of not getting even a single clear.

Congratulations and keep it up!

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
I'm duly impressed. The physics were quite stable, though I did once see two blocks in the same spot. The controls were a little unintuitive (took me a while to figure out how to rotate the blocks). Could I suggest a more typical setup? Left and right arrows translate and up and down arrows rotate. I don't see the need to separate these two actions, unless I'm missing something. The "unfreeze" option was a little confusing - I'm guessing it's "waking up" blocks which have been stationary for too long, but I'm not sure and wouldn't have guessed even that if I hadn't worked with physics programming a bit before. The recharge timer for it is too long, IMO. The GUI was quite nice and the animations very pleasant. Sometimes the confirmations of your choices were a little annoying, though.

I was pretty bad at the game. Especially at the "Clear" mode, in which I gave up after a good while of not getting even a single clear.

Congratulations and keep it up!

Thanks for the input.

The idea behind freezing is that the block shrivel a little and lock in place once they're not moving around anymore; unfreeze unlocks everything so they can bounce around and create combos. There's no real visual indication when freezing happens, it's definitely something to experiment more with.

What do you mean when you say 'confirmations of your choices'? If you mean the sound effects, yes those do suck :)

Sign in to follow this