Sign in to follow this  
0blivion

Beginning Game Programming

Hey guys, my name is Chris. I just recently started getting involved with Game Development, I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I just recently finished Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days. I was wondering if you guys could help me create a list of the books I should get (From amazon.com). I basically want to be able to create a simple 3D game by myself so a list of the books/languages/topics I need to be able to do that would be awesome.

Hello,

For graphics, I would recommend:

DirectX:
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10
Beginning Game Programming by Jonathan Harbour

OpenGL:
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming

AI:
AI Game Programming Wisdom Series
Programming Game AI by Example

For art:
3ds Max Modeling for Games (if you can afford 3ds max)

Mind telling me what the difference between these two are?
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10

We get this kind of question about once every two hours, so you might want to look through the archives (use search box and type in something like your topic).

Quote:
The first one deals with DirectX 9.0c, the second book with DirectX 10. Google and search the archives to get more illuminating posts on what you need to know about those two.

But more to the point, and you aren't going to like this answer, but, if you've just walked through a Sams book, you aren't ready to start a 3D game. You can read your way to that point. You need to sit down and start programming text based games of increasing complexity until you are comfortable applying programming principles and the C++ syntax.

You'll find that if you skip ahead, that you will be largely dependent on tutorials and other step by step code to get anything done. And from them, you'll find yourself making various sample applications. But when it comes to making something on your own, you will be lost. It's not a question of whether this situation applies to you or not, it's about whether you will accept reality and amend your learning process.

You'll get a whole lot more useful responses if you focus on the latter...

Quote:
Original post by oler1s
Quote:
The first one deals with DirectX 9.0c, the second book with DirectX 10. Google and search the archives to get more illuminating posts on what you need to know about those two.

But more to the point, and you aren't going to like this answer, but, if you've just walked through a Sams book, you aren't ready to start a 3D game. You can read your way to that point. You need to sit down and start programming text based games of increasing complexity until you are comfortable applying programming principles and the C++ syntax.

You'll find that if you skip ahead, that you will be largely dependent on tutorials and other step by step code to get anything done. And from them, you'll find yourself making various sample applications. But when it comes to making something on your own, you will be lost. It's not a question of whether this situation applies to you or not, it's about whether you will accept reality and amend your learning process.

You'll get a whole lot more useful responses if you focus on the latter...

I would have to generally agree with this but I do have to say that there is only so much text based programming you can really handle now days. What I would recommend is spend quite a bit of time working with console based games and then slowly start moving into 2d graphics. I repeat, slowly start moving into 2d graphics. Do not jump to 3d from text based. All you will do is give yourself frustration and headaches.

If you have not made any games in another language, then you should start off in 2D. I for example started in VB and made a blackjack game, a DDR rip, A text based RPG, and a "take your 2D ball through the level without hitting any obsticles." game.

After learning c++ and 3D it's pretty simple to make a 3D arcade type game. My first was a game where you control a camera and try to hit targets before they disappear.

A couple more suggestions for books:

- The whole Scott Meyers Effective series.
- Design Patterns

And, when you feel comfortable with the material in the previous two:

- Game Coding Complete

The first two are intermediate-level C++ books. They aren't game-specific. The last one is, and it's a behemoth (900ish pages). It's full of great information, though.

Good luck [smile]