Sign in to follow this  

Best Modding Engine for a Dynasty Warriors-esque Conversion

This topic is 3109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Title pretty much says it all. I don't know a great deal about all the different engines, so I'm looking for a decent place to start. I'm thinking its between Crysis (Sandbox), Source (Hammer), or UE3, but I don't really know what would be the best. I suppose the term "best" would be for the engine easiest to convert into something like Dynasty Warriors, but I'd love to hear other comments on which and why. If you don't know what Dynasty Warriors is, it's basically a third-person Melee action game with possibly hundreds of units on screen at a time in outdoor, large-scale environments. Difficulty with an FPS engine is of course making it third-person (or is that that difficult?), melee combo-system combat, and a load of enemies on-screen at a time. Random question and I'm being vague, I know, but there's thoughts-a-brewing. Just need to be pointed in a general direction before I begin research! Thanks for the help!

The best one would be the Total War engine. Unfortunately, the licensing costs for that are out of reach of us mortal developers (HBO has no problem with it though).

Failing that, I have this gut feeling that any of those engines are good enough (not sure if they all expose enough API to change so much, though). Granted, the last DW game I played was DW 4 Hyper, which failed to impress with graphics or gameplay even though I'm somewhat of a Three Kingdoms fanboy. Your best bet is to look at existing mods and games to see what's possible. Here and here.

The Source engine can definitely do 3rd person (see Eternal Silence mod, which has dogfighting space combat). Many U3 games are 3rd person as well (Army of Two, Borthers in Arms), and there's even a mod to switch the normal U3 game to 3rd person.

Yeah, definitely only considering free Modding engines with the SDK out, and AFAIK, Total War's isn't open modding. And even if it was, I think I'm looking for more level of detail than that. While the size of the armies would be no problem with it, I think creating an up-close hero may be awkward.

And I agree that all the editors are perfectly capable of accomplishing it, I just figure one would be better than the other for it.

This topic is 3109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.