These Books Good?

Started by
5 comments, last by Scourage 14 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys, I have created a list of books that seem good and will hopefully get me on my way to 3D Game Programming. -All of these books are on amazon.com. +Beginning C++ through Game Programming, Michael Dawson +C++ Primer Plus, Stephan Plata +Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, Dave Astle & Kevin Hawkins +More OpenGL Game Programming, Dave Astle +Programming Game AI by Example, Mat Buckland I will also be buying 3Ds Max, what else would you suggest? If I learn everything in those books do you think I will be able to write a nice 3D game on my own?
Advertisement
I would suggest waiting on buying 3Ds Max, at least a full version until you get more into it...

There are several free/cheap alternatives that are not as good but will do fine until you need something more advanced.

Like Blender etc, I can't think of any more but there are alot of them.
I was just told to learn SDL before OpenGL, SDL is 2D and OpenGL is 3D correct?
I think they're nice collection as a beginning. Hope you will make it to the end.

I recommend OpenGL Superbible 4th edition too.

about 3DS MAX, I recommend to download Blender (free modeling tool) and try it before buying 3DS MAX, maybe you will like it and stick with it.

Good Luck!
Yup, the OpenGL SuperBible is the best OpenGL book for OpenGL beginners through fairly advanced. The only drawback is, OpenGL v3.0 and v3.1 and GLSL v1.30 and v1.40 will not be covered until the 5th edition, which has not yet been announced, me thinks. Personally I hated those other OpenGL books, and they are much further behind the newest OpenGL and GLSL than the SuperBible.

Also be sure to download the appropriate versions of the OpenGL and GLSL specifications from http://www.opengl.org/registry.
You can skip the More OpenGL Game Programming book and get Beginning Opengl Game Programming, Second Edition

It covers OpenGL 3
By the looks of your book list, you trying to learn C++ and openGL without any prior experience. Here is the book list that I would recommend to get you started:

Game Coding Complete, third edition (must have)
Beginning C++ through Game Programming (you already picked this)
C++ For Game Programmers
Focus on SDL
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, second edition

You should also read at some point:
The Pragmatic Programmer
Design Patterns
Writing Portable Code
Large Scale C++ Software Design

I would also strongly recommend Blender as a modeling program. It's free, has A LOT of tutorials on line, and can export any format you want to use for a game.

Cheers,

Bob

[size="3"]Halfway down the trail to Hell...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement