new keyword and arrays - can't figure it out

Started by
3 comments, last by Somnia 14 years, 10 months ago
hey everyone, i cant figure this out! anyways the uncommented code works and shows my triangle the commented code doesn't. verticles is a vector of vertex objects with x, y, z

/*float * buffer = new float[(int)vertices.size() * 3]; // vert size * 3 = 9
for(unsigned int i = 0; i < (int)vertices.size(); i++)
{
    buffer = vertices<span style="font-weight:bold;">.x;
    buffer = vertices<span style="font-weight:bold;">.y;
    buffer = vertices<span style="font-weight:bold;">.z;
}*/

float buffer[9];

buffer[0] = 0.0f;
buffer[1] = 1.0f;
buffer[2] = 0.0f;
buffer[3] = -1.0f;
buffer[4] = 0.0f;
buffer[5] = 0.0f;
buffer[6] = 1.0f;
buffer[7] = 0.0f;
buffer[8] = 0.0f;

glGenBuffersARB(1, &identifier);
glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, identifier);
glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, sizeof(buffer), buffer, L_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);
</pre>
Advertisement
Don't use new[]. Use std::vector:
std::vector<float> buffer;buffer.reserve(vertices_count * 3);for (int i = 0; i < vertices_count; i++){    buffer.push_back(vertices.x);    buffer.push_back(vertices.y);    buffer.push_back(vertices.z);}glGenBuffersARB(1, &identifier);glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, identifier);glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, buffer.size() * sizeof(float), &buffer[0], L_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);

sizeof(buffer) when buffer is a pointer to a dynamically allocated array is just going to give you the size of the actual pointer (i.e 4 bytes typically). You need to multiply it by the number of elements in the array.
awesome job guys, very fast and informative, thanks a lot! :D
Quote:Original post by Somnia
sizeof(buffer) when buffer is a pointer to a dynamically allocated array is just going to give you the size of the actual pointer (i.e 4 bytes typically). You need to multiply it by the number of elements in the array.

This was a bit carelessly expressed, of course I mean you need to multiply the size of a single element (e.g sizeof(float)) by the number of elements in the array.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement