Tomb Of The Aztecs released -- a textmode 3D raytraced roguelike

Started by
7 comments, last by owl 14 years, 10 months ago
Recent tectonic activity in central America has unearthed Very Old Things under New Mexico, the site of the ancient Aztec city of Tenochtitlan. As a jetsetting plunderer of historic artefacts, you were taking some ill-deserved R'n'R down in New Mexico at the time, and just so happened to be sipping tequila outside a seedy terrace cafe when the ground around you fractured and the air was torn with the sickening noise of yielding rock and earth. As plumes of dust began to billow up from the fissure, you had the presence of mind to whip out your trusty iPhone. A quick trip to Wikipedia confirmed your suspicions - you were surely standing above the tomb of legendary warrior Popocatepetl. Further research was hindered by the collapse of all nearby cell towers, and with the briefest pause to drain your tequila and grab your trusty Fireball Cannon from the cafe table, you leapt into the gaping maw of the tomb. You soon realised the outer level you had landed in was merely an antechamber to the tomb complex. Scouting around, you eventually came upon a trapdoor leading down into the tombs. NOW, you are pausing to collect yourself before venturing forth. Like any bold tomb-raiding adventurer, you have one priority -- relieve the tomb of it's treasure and get the hell out of there. YOUR MISSION: Descend to the lowest level of the tomb complex and retrieve THE ORB OF POPOCATEPETL, then return to the surface. Anything else you meet down there can be considered hostile - except chests. We like chests. Mmmmmmmmmm, chests. FAST PC RECOMMENDED! --- Hi all, I'm proud to present V1.2 of Tomb of The Aztecs, a textmode 3D realtime raytraced roguelike. Windows-only for now I'm afraid. This is the first general release of a 7DRL (seven-day roguelike) I did in May. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It uses the awesome libtcod for all manner of stuff. Features include: - Fully dynamic lighting with reflections and shadows - Fully twisted textmode rendering engine - Classic roguelike map display - Many tomb denizens See the included readme for more info and build notes. Download location: http://www.coldcity.com/downloads/tota.rar (Windows binary, 700K rar file)
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
Advertisement
Just tried it out, really nice I must say! Funny idea and works perfectly, good job!

/chot
----------Thale Cres
Cool concept! I really recommend anyone reading this to give it a try, it's quite different.
I don't have exactly a "fast PC", so I haven't tried it, but judging by this post, you should be proud! Also, I enjoyed your writing style for that introduction.
Haha that was fun. Brings back memories.

Wow, that's pretty sweet! Nice job.

...But just for the sake of pointless nitpicking, the ruins of Tenochtitlan are not in New Mexico, they're in actual Mexico. Wikipedia

;)
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
Quote:Original post by lancekt
Wow, that's pretty sweet! Nice job.

...But just for the sake of pointless nitpicking, the ruins of Tenochtitlan are not in New Mexico, they're in actual Mexico. Wikipedia

;)

Its the ruins of "New" Tenochtitlan.
Played it, loved it.

Found a bug, though: You can walk through "weak corners" diagonally (see my awesome diagram below) by just cramming yourself up into the corner and "forcing" yourself through. Collision detection glitch?

Really Nice! Congratulations!
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement