Sign in to follow this  
lithos

Gapping holes in math education.

Basically I'm comfortable with pretty much anything that is basic(algebra, trig, geometry, linear math) I can also "eventually" hack together quite a few more advanced math problems and apply them to programming. Though the problem is that there are in some cases these HUGE gaping holes in my math education that I know are there but I don't know what they are exactly. I'm also "skipping steps" in some cases where I might be using concepts/applications that are relatively complex, but then sending me to what should be a simpler problem will leave be stuck for a long while. Basically what I'm looking for is a broad range overview of math concepts that briefly covers them and briefly tests those concepts so that I can start to narrow down, find, and work on the stuff that I'm bad at or not good enough at. It could be a website, a book, or some kind of application. I just want to find out where "my holes" are so that I can work on them.

A book I highly recommend is "Mathematics for the Nonmathematician" by Morris Kline. It's published by Dover, and is fairly inexpensive. The original title of the book was "Math for Liberal Arts"; it's like a math course covering most of the math a person should know if their main area of study is something other than mathematics.

It doesn't cover everything, and there will still be areas of mathematics you know nothing of, but it has a few strong points for me:
1) Good, concise coverage of the basics (and a bit beyond).
2) Great historical coverage; really puts what you are learning in context.
3) A really interesting read! Seriously, I read this more for enjoyment and pleasure than anything. The fact that it's educational is an added perk.

There will still be other branches of math for you to learn that are useful in game programming, etc. But I find that starting with this book will help create the "feeling" that you're building your mathematical knowledge upon a solid, hole-less foundation.