Sign in to follow this  
wwSwimming

Keeping a Motion that Comes in on an *.fbx

I completed a simple first person shooter, the XNA tutorial at http://creators.xna.com/en-US/education/gettingstarted/bg3d/chapter4 Then I substited in my own 3D Max geometry for the geometry used in the tutorial, outputting an *.fbx & tweaking the name so it all lined up. That brought with it a *.tga; that part (texture mapping) worked good, when I ran the program/ played the game. I also put a rotation on the new *.fbx. That part isn't coming through. Is there some special code to allow animation in an *.fbx to pass through to the XNA game ? I thought one of the reasons people use *.fbx was because it allows them to create animated scenes in another program and then play them (at the right time), interactively, like in a game. Am I mis-perceiving what *.fbx is for ? Anyway, thanks much for any help getting this sorted out !

I'm not sure I totally follow you, but I'll take a shot in the dark:

In order to do animation in XNA, you need to do a little bit more than just importing the model. What exactly do you mean by "put a rotation on the new *.fbx."? Do you mean you tried to animate it in Max, and you aren't seeing any sort of animation?

Did you update your existing animation curves or did you add a new joint and tried to animate it? If it is the latter then you need to make sure that XNA knows about this new joint so that it can handle the animation for you.