Help!

Started by
4 comments, last by jpetrie 14 years, 10 months ago
Alright, well hey everyone. I am incredibly new to game design. I have not learned a bit of code or understand the concepts at all, but it is the career path I intend on embarking on. I am currently 16 years old, heading to college a couple years early this fall. I was hoping that some of you guys could tell me where to start, or at least point me in the right direction. All I know is that I plan on learning C++ first. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
Advertisement
Download a compiler or IDE, such as Visual C++ Express (Editionhttp://www.microsoft.com/Express/vc/) and learn how to use it, then start off with some simple programming tutorials.
i would suggest downloading Visual C++ from microsoft as it is free!!!
but i would also suggest C++ primer plus. it is a great book to learn programming from the ground up and then you can incorporate it into your games.

right now i am 15 and about 3 weeks ago was in the same position as you (but had prior programming experience) and i have bought C++ primer plus and am working through it. right now though i am working on a simple textbased game using do{ }while() loop for the game loop and giving the player different options with which to hit the 'monster' in the game.

i would suggest that since you do not have any prior coding experience that you start with a simpler language. like python.

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Quote:All I know is that I plan on learning C++ first.
Why? Most posters here who ask about a language are told to pick Python, or maybe C#. And C++ tends to be warned against, for very good reasons.

Since you're going to be entering a formal curriculum, then you should choose a language keeping in mind what your college courses will be teaching. Is it C++? Java? Something else? You have about a couple of months. The two best options are to pick the language you will have to learn anyway as part of your courses. Or to pick a language with a very short learning curve but will be of genuine use.
Hey dude.. im a beginner like urself... i found this book called tricks of the windows programming gurus by Andre Lamothe! its gr8 for rookies.. it focuses on creating win32 apps then slowly moving on to Directx...

Good luck mate! :)
Duplicate; closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement