Emotionless MMO's?

Started by
113 comments, last by wodinoneeye 14 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Ultenth
Some interesting feedback so far, some of which agrees with thoughts I've been having. Attainment being one, but the problem with that is not the Attainment itself, but I believe it to be that the short-term attainments of completing a quest or something of that nature seem so weak in comparison to most people's desire to simply reach the end of level grinding so they have their player at maximum. I think perhaps if something is added that makes players focus more on the journey instead of the final destination they wouldn't ignore so many of the early quests.

Max level is simply a long term goal. The game basically sets a bar for the player to jump over and they know they can jump over it, they just need the time. Along that journey they are encouraged with other minor victories. This creates a stream of positive feedback from the game to the player that the player enjoys and becomes emotionally attached to.

When that goal is out there the focus of the player is on that goal and not story. Especially if that story is just something that the devs made.

Emotional attachment to story is possible but like I already said it really starts with the players feeling like it is their story AND it is ties into that stream of positive feedback.

MMORPGs are easily one of the most emotionally manipulative types of games. While it is far more subtle than other genres the feelings tend to run very deep.

The ability to change the world would be great and an obvious extention of how the player changes their avatar.
--------------My Blog on MMO Design and Economieshttp://mmorpgdesigntalk.blogspot.com/
Advertisement
So are you suggesting then that it's possible the problem with not emotionally attaching to current game is the opposite of what people seem to be suggesting? As in that it's perhaps too MUCH hand-holding and leading the player through the experience, which makes it harder for them to "create" their own story within our worlds? I still think that too much freedom in a game makes it so too high of a percentage of players simply become lost and confused as to what to do next, but I do agree that the strongest memories players create in the MMO genre are usually ones that they themselves build using the tools we give them. The problem then seems to be that we're either giving them too many or too few or simply the wrong kind of tools, which then goes back to my last post, and how those tools might be used.

But yes, I think the feeling of needing to reach the long-term goal of max level is too distracting for many players, and serves to distract them from the world you're trying to give them, but the question is how to get them to buy into the world you've created, and see that as just as important as the end game. I think one way to do so is perhaps moving to a more skill-based system, similar to SW:G, but then that runs into the issue of grinding for skill points, because you don't have a definite leveling path where you know the "con" of the mobs in comparison to your own power.
No, I wouldn’t call attainment a distraction, it is the game. It not only drives the decisions of the players but it is why they play. People do not pay so much and play for so long for a story that they can get in another game. They play for the ding, whether they want to admit it or not.

Attainment is like the bones or the foundation in which everything else is built upon. Story is there to make the game more interesting.

You need “story” or the game will be boring. For example killing a dragon is better than killing some non specific sprite. That said if the sprite drops better loot than the dragon then players will be killing that sprite more than the dragon. Although they are likely to quit the game because sprites are such a lame thing to be fighting.

With all that said the player would love to own a castle, own a dragon, own an entire kingdom. There is really no limit to what the player would want to attain, the problem is when you have 3000+ players all wanting everything.

Of course players want to change the world but it is easier said than done as I am sure you know.

As for leveling, I think the future is in flexibility and flat progression. For example the Paladin class in WOW can be a tank, DPS, and healer. The Mage is really just DPS. So the end result of character development has to have that in mind because players will be playing for a long time and want flexibility. Plus they will need to get different items to be a tank, dps, and healer which will take them time which will result in them playing longer.
--------------My Blog on MMO Design and Economieshttp://mmorpgdesigntalk.blogspot.com/
I have an idea -

How about designing the MMO more like a single player experience?
For instance - instead of having a quest hub, make the game seek out the player in some way and make them pursue quests. Quests should also be generated so that no (-isch) two same players experience the same quest, unless invited by a quest-holder.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, just some random locations, random names, random villains and you're set.
The reward could be based on how long the quest takes to complete, how well the player does and what the outcome was. If the quest takes you, for instance, to assassinate a king - that king dies for the rest of the world as well. That in turn generates another set of quests i.e "find the heir" and so on..

That would make each quest longer and more meaningful, and in its true form - a quest.

If there's a great need for a quest hub, make it like a bulletin board - i.e if a quest is taken, it's gone from the board.
Players could also post their own "help wanted" a.k.a "join-this-quest" notes.

"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
Stangler - I do agree that flat leveling progression is a problem, which is why I'm leaning towards more of a skill-based system, similar to what SW:G used to have, but as I stated the major problem with that is simply the fact that the player often doesn't know where they should be leveling, and it's hard to make quests and storylines for players at varying level of powers depending on where they are skill-wise. Distinct 1-___ level ranges make it much easier to create content for specific levels of player progression, and allow you to guide them better so they don't feel they just need to randomly grind mobs (which of course gets boring).

And yes, attainment is important, but what I am suggesting is that perhaps there can be a method found that allows us to force the players to look more strongly at short-term attainment, and live more in the moment, instead of focusing so much on the end-goal of hitting max level or something of that nature.

Rasmadrak - While the idea has been discussed and desired many times over, no one has been able to come up with a reasonable method to do so that doesn't require billions of man hours of developer time creating content, or make new players feel like they missed out on all the cool stuff. The amount of time that it would take to develop a moving quest-chain system like you have suggested is so formidable that no developer has even attempted it, because even if you focused your entire team on that one objective you will still never be able to create enough content.

That is what concerns me about so-called story-focused games like Star Wars: TOR that are in development, no matter how fast you create content, players will always consume it faster than you can create it. There needs to be something viable and fulfilling for players to do once they finish the storylines you put into place. Which is why I don't want to exhaust too much time on building immersive stories, because eventually players will move past them, and then what? But I still want them to create powerful memories and feel strong emotions as they do create these stories using the tools I give them, which is why this discussion.
Quote:Original post by Ultenth
Stangler - I do agree that flat leveling progression is a problem, which is why I'm leaning towards more of a skill-based system, similar to what SW:G used to have, but as I stated the major problem with that is simply the fact that the player often doesn't know where they should be leveling, and it's hard to make quests and storylines for players at varying level of powers depending on where they are skill-wise. Distinct 1-___ level ranges make it much easier to create content for specific levels of player progression, and allow you to guide them better so they don't feel they just need to randomly grind mobs (which of course gets boring).

And yes, attainment is important, but what I am suggesting is that perhaps there can be a method found that allows us to force the players to look more strongly at short-term attainment, and live more in the moment, instead of focusing so much on the end-goal of hitting max level or something of that nature.

I guess I wasn't clear.

Leveling is fine. Specifically for the reasons you stated with regard to creating content ranges.

When I say flat progression I mean that the character gains flexibility but not necessarily power. This tends to happen at max level. For example the WOW Paladin who has the best tank gear but just got a breastplate that will help the Paly be a better healer. As a tank the paly is the same.

Another example would be if you could pick 6 buffs out of 10 buffs. If you gain another buff so you have a total of 11 to choose from but can still only pick 6 you are progressing but it is a flat progression. (assuming the buffs are balanced)

A skill system versus a class/level system is not really as important as having a system that offers this kind of flexibility. The last thing you want to do is pigeon hole a player. The more they can do the better. The more they CAN do the more they WILL do, and the longer they will pay you to do it.
It sounds like what your looking for maybe Emergent Gameplay, like in Dwarf Fortress, Left4Dead, The Sims, etc.
Hi again,

I'm thinking more in the line of making the game create quests that doesn't require that much man-made components. For instance, Ysaneya and his team are developing a space-mmo game that relies on procedural techniques and is generating a playarea that one could never visit entierly in your lifetime. Now that may be overkill, but if that amount is possible surely a "simple" quest can be made as well?

Most current-quests rely on simple things such as,
A) find item X
B) bring item to SOME_DUDE
c) kill monster WHATS_HIS_NAME
d) etc...

The mission may change from "bring the mighty wizard some thunderleaves" to "bring me my lost amulet", but essentially they could easily be generated to be unique.
Player experience could also affect the generation of quests so that high-level players won't get bored by simply expanding the grandeur of the quest.

Diablo's weaponsystem works in a similar way, and no one that I know of have complained about their weapons.

Hopefully people won't be standing in line to kill the same monster with such a system.
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
Eww at the mention of generated quests - those tend to be anything BUT meaningful and emotionally involving. -_-

It's pretty much an accepted fact that any player-leveling system is bad for roleplaying. Even outside of computer games, comparing dice-based and diceless RPGs immediately shows that players in the dice-based game are thinking about efficiency, profit, earning money and EXP, while players in the diceless game are thinking about emotions, psychology, socializing, possibly solving a mystery. A levelless MMO would also have the obvious benefit that any two people could play together, instead of both being restricted to level-appropriate areas and tasks. The only reason I didn't suggest removing levels from MMOs to improve them is without the level grind there is no motivation to repetitively kill tens of thousands of monsters, which is the core activity of current MMORPGs and the only reason one can play them for months.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote:Original post by Stangler
MMORPGs are about attainment first and foremost.

So far...

This is not a new issue at all.
It's been around since RPG's began, and mostly, it is something that continues as an extension of quest-for-item-reward systems; which do happen to be the large base of systems in all formats of RPG's.

It's also the base for most point-A-to-point-B-based games, as at some point a power-up, level-up, item, etc... is granted for attaining some point in the game.
The difference is in linear and non-linear graphing of the level design.
MMORPG's level design is non-linear and optional; not mandatory.

This all said, not all RPG's out there work on this method.
The second (Vampire), fifth (Werewolf), and sixth (Shadowrun) most popular major RPGs do not use this method at all.(Source: http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/wotcdemo.html)

You have ambitions, quests, and missions to go out and accomplish something, but your primary rewards in these systems are a handful of points (not much by comparison to other systems)to spend on building your character up some more, and to get some money to spend on items yourself.

So attainment is still there, but not in a direct method as seen in systems where items are the point of doing a quest directly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement