• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maxgpgpu

OpenGL VBO to VAO

This topic is 3394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

VBO: All our geometry is currently drawn from the bound IBO and VBO with glDraw[Range]Elements(). I never did understand why, but we could not make our code work unless we specified the offsets/types/normalizations of every vertex attribute every time we switched to another IBO/VBO pair. Does anyone understand why? Note: the vertices in all our VBOs are identical (same attributes, same offsets, same types, etc). VAO: After reading the OpenGL v3.10 specification, I have a few questions about VAOs. The description of VAOs led did not make it clear to me that the VAO remembers and restores the VBO attributes and their offsets/types/normalizations when they are bound. However, table 6.3 and 6.4 seems to clearly state this information is stored with the VAO. Here are my VAO questions: #1: Does binding the VAO make all this VBO state active too? And does it also somehow make clear to the GPU whether the indices in the corresponding IBO are 16-bits or 32-bits (I don't see that)? #2: Why do I not see an IBO or VBO identifier in the VAO state (in tables 6.3 and 6.4)? How can binding the VAO also bind the IBO and VBO if they are not identified in the VAO state? --------------- context: upgrading cross platform 3D engine from OpenGL210/GLSL120 to OpenGL310/GLSL140 (with 185.85 drivers). computers: CPU = phenom + 4GB RAM : video = nvidia GTX285 + 2GB VRAM : OS #1 = ubuntu64 v9.04 : OS #2 = winxp64

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!