Sign in to follow this  
danDemon

SDL_TTF. How to print an INT value as a text ?

I've spent last few hours figuring this one out. Int a = 15; TTF_RenderText_Shaded(font, "Your Score is:", foregroundColor, backgroundColor); I need to make it render "Your Score is: 15". because second parameter of TTF_RenderText_Shaded is a const char* I can't put string there (so stringstream thing won't work). I was able to make it a string, and then using str_c() cast it to const char* which won't work since the result is gonna change each time game loops. I can't use itoa() because my compiler(VC++2k8) won't let me. The typical C approach of (char*)a won't work either. Is there a way to do it ? I went to SDL_TTF documentation but couldn't find an answer there either. So right now I could either: continue trying to cast Int -> char* hope there's an easy way in SDL to print Int as a text. Any idea ?

You can use std::stringstream and std::string::c_str(), you were on the right track. You just need to be able to update the text when it changes. You can write a helper class for this, something like this.

Hey. Thanks for help. I tried both ways and somehow I made compiler buy the itoa() function. Thanks a lot. I think I'm gonna try to remake it with string streams later.