XNA, Good?

Started by
19 comments, last by SimonForsman 14 years, 10 months ago
The learning curve shouldn't be bad at all. Syntax is pretty similar and the documentation/tutorials are bountiful.

I wouldn't necessarily say that C# is faster than Java (that debate opens a whole can of worms), but it is nice to be able to work with Visual Studio and have access to some pretty powerful stuff with XNA.
Advertisement
It shouldn't take more than some days or a week to get familiar with C# if you now java.

Concerning speed, Java is actually faster. But it's not a big difference.

Using C# you will get a lot of things for free (XNA ect..) so you can speed up the development which is really nice.
I've toyed around with XNA a bit, and I generally like it. It's pretty solid, easy to use, et cetera. 360 deployment is a nice plus. I would recommend it.

Quote:
I've heard from quite a few sources that C# is better than Java for games and things like that (because it is supposedly faster).

Languages do not have inherent speed and it is generally meaningless and pointless to talk about language X being "faster than" language Y in the general sense. Specific tasks in specific contexts in specific implementations can be benchmarked, but you must be aware of the dangers of benchmarks.

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say that C# is faster than Java (that debate opens a whole can of worms)

Yes, one best kept out of this forum, please.

Quote:
Concerning speed, Java is actually faster. But it's not a big difference.

Please do not make these sort of baseless and unbacked assertions concerning performance in this forum. It is misleading. Benchmarking is a far too subtle art to generalize like this, and exploring the appropriate subtleties and specific instances is not the domain of the FB forum.
Quote:Original post by Moe
(that debate opens a whole can of worms)

Yeah, please let's not do that and ruin a perfectly good thread. Edit: too late :/

Not much of a metric, but I like it so much that I bought an XBox just for the XNA development.
The reason I said that Java was supposedly faster was that I had read a number of resources on the net citing Java's slower and clunkier performance when it came to things like games etc. Apparently java suffers from memory leak problems.(wtf)

Just wanted to clarify that, ok i have nothing more to say about it. :)

So XNA can deploy to X360 eh? Does that mean that you can create games for XBLA and make money from them?

If I were to develop a game using the standard, freely available XNA, would i be allowed to sell it?
Quote:Original post by S-Dawg
So XNA can deploy to X360 eh? Does that mean that you can create games for XBLA and make money from them?

If I were to develop a game using the standard, freely available XNA, would i be allowed to sell it?

Yes. There is a system in place where you would submit your game and members of the community would review your game and describe what is in it (gore, language, etc...) and assuming it passes those tests then it goes to the Marketplace. It's definitely not 'Make a game and it's instantly on the Marketplace'.

You also need to have a membership for the premium Creators Club account which, if I remember right, is like $100 a year or a certain amount for 4 months or so. You can find more here and here.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Quote:Original post by S-Dawg
You can make money selling your games on Xbox LIVE Community Games for a small subscription fee. You can make an XNA game work for XBLA, but that requires a contract with Microsoft and some expensive dev/test kits to make happen.

Quote:If I were to develop a game using the standard, freely available XNA, would i be allowed to sell it?
On Windows, yes. On Xbox 360, you have to subscribe which is $99 for 12 months or $49 for 4 months. Deployment to the Xbox 360 does require this subscription, but given that 90% of the XNA framework runs on both Windows and Xbox 360, you can usually do quite a lot of work in Windows before ever paying to deploy to the Xbox 360.

Alternatively, you can get a trial subscription just by registering for Dream Build Play. It's a 4 month trial account which doesn't allow you to submit your game for sale, but it does let you deploy your game locally to your Xbox for testing.
That's hardcore! Thanks a lot. So there are no Microsoft Licensing Issues or royalties. Good.
I believe Microsoft do take a cut of comunity games sales, around 30% right now IIRC.
That's correct about the MS cut. It's not 'free' to sell your game.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement