Sign in to follow this  
Smee

Cel shading / outline.

Smee    122
'lo, folks. I'm looking to add a style to my models where they keep their normal shading (either non-existent or typical shading) but also have a black outline. I've looked at the NeHe code and played with the example, but I'm not happy with the quality of the lines - even with antialiasing. So my question is... can anyone set me in the right direction for drawing a black outline (2-4px wide) on edges which actually looks good? Thanks in advance.

AndyFirth    162
several methods that i know of... but the one i use when its required involves using edge detection on the mask of the object as a post process.

let me know if you need more details... platform would be handy too (I'm a console programmer)

dys129    116
There are planty of techniques how to achieve outline / silhouette. Basically you can divide them into two groups : Geometry based and Post - Process Based.

Geometry Base - techniques like rendering mesh backfaces slightly biased to form silhoutte. Other is called "shell mapping" (just google it).

Post-Process - There are techniques to detect edges using normal maps, z-depth maps, Sobel Filter.

You can find a lot of useful articles in NPR Rendering