Sign in to follow this  
Megamorph

OpenGL Normal buffer troubles again... Strange... Any advice?

Hello, everyone. I am trying to render out a simple GL_FLAT cube using a vertex buffer as shown here: The cube I'm trying to render. The vertices I'm using are in the following array, which is fine (and it renders fine):
GLfloat vertices[24] =  {0.5,  0.5,  0.5,
                        -0.5,  0.5,  0.5,
                        -0.5, -0.5,  0.5,
                         0.5, -0.5,  0.5, 
                         0.5, -0.5, -0.5,
                         0.5,  0.5, -0.5,
                        -0.5,  0.5, -0.5,
                        -0.5, -0.5, -0.5};

The index array, which is also fine, is as follows:
GLubyte indices[24] =  {0,1,2,3,   // 24 indices
			4,7,6,5};

The normals array is being calculated automatically (for each face here, not each vertex, since the model is faceted, not smooth). It also seems to be fine:
normals 0x0012fcbc float [18] [0] 0.00000000 float [1] 0.00000000 float [2] 1.0000000 float [3] 1.0000000 float [4] 0.00000000 float [5] 0.00000000 float [6] 0.00000000 float [7] 1.0000000 float [8] 0.00000000 float [9] -1.0000000 float [10] 0.00000000 float [11] 0.00000000 float [12] 0.00000000 float [13] -1.0000000 float [14] 0.00000000 float [15] 0.00000000 float [16] 0.00000000 float [17] -1.0000000 float
And here is the code I have for the actual rendering:
//...
glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, -3.0f);
glRotatef(45.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
// bind vertex and index buffers
g_VBE.glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vertBuffer);
g_VBE.glBindBufferARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, indBuffer);
glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);		// activate vertex coords array
    glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, 0);		// last param is offset, not ptr

// bind the normals buffer
    g_VBE.glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, normBuffer);
    glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);
    glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 0, 0); 

glDrawElements(GL_QUADS, 24, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, 0);
  glDisableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY); // deactivate normals array
glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);  // deactivate vertex array
//...

I have a light set up at 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f and it seems to be working fine. It is right behind the camera, and since the cube is right in front, it should be dead on. However, here is what I'm seeing (this is the cube turned to 45 degree angle): The cube I'm rendering. As you can see, the two sides aren't lit equally bright, which means either the normals or something about the way I'm using them is messed up. If I try to do a 360-degree turnaround, the faces are not lit the same, and the lighting changes from face to face in a weird way. Any suggestions?

Is the light directional or point? (or spot?)
If the cube is not 45° rotated, then that's how it's supposed to look.

I'm not into OpenGL (D3D guy here), but check the normals are being transformed (rotated as well), and that the light position isn't being transformed.

Quote:

If I try to do a 360-degree turnaround, (...) and the lighting changes from face to face in a weird way.

That could be either the flat shading artifact, or specular lighting turned on

Cheerio
Dark Sylinc

It seems that you position your light in the wrong space(camera vs world space). A position of (0,0,1) would be behind your camera only if your light position is given in camera space. If your position is given in world space it will be most likely transformed by your MV matrix (translate->rotation) too, which will result in your light being in front of your cube and would only light one side of it.

Quicktest: Put your light at (1,0,1) or (-1,0,1), this should shade the visible faces equally if I'm right with my assumption.

--
Ashaman

I wish that were true [bawling], but I've already tested for it...
When I set the light to -1,0,1 or 1,0,1 the picture doesn't change (the sides are lit uneven, pretty much the same). The light positioning isn't included in the glPush/glPopMatrix block with the cube rendering, so the cube is translated & rotated separate from the rest of the scene.

Quote:
Is the light directional or point? (or spot?)

By default in OpenGL it is of point/omni type.

Also, when the cube is rotating a full 360, I'm getting this one side lit brightly, and the side opposite to it also becomes lit brightly when it becomes illuminated, but the two other sides stay dim... Which is weird[attention]

Here, see for yourself:
Executable

As a testament, here is the cube at some point in the rotation looked at from the top/front view with the gluLookAt function:
Cube from top/front.

As you can see, not only are the side faces sporadically lit, but the top face is also lit, which shouldn't be happening.

I also changed my code now a bit (I thought I had some problems with the offset of the buffers in memory or, perhaps, was specifying the buffer to be overwritten or something like that):

/* offset is defined as (char *)pointer - (char *)NULL in OpenGL,
so we do the reverse to convert offset to pointer.*/

#define BUFFER_OFFSET(i) ((i) + (char *)NULL)

//sets up the objects for rendering
void SetupScene()
{
//...

//generate normals
GenerateNormalArray(vertices, 24, indices, normals, GL_QUADS);

geometry = calloc(42,sizeof(GLfloat));
memcpy(geometry, vertices, 24*(sizeof(GLfloat)));
memcpy(&(geometry[24]), normals, 18 * sizeof(GLfloat));

g_VBE.glGenBuffersARB(2, &geomBuffer);
g_VBE.glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, geomBuffer);
g_VBE.glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, (42*sizeof(GLfloat)), geometry, GL_STREAM_DRAW_ARB);
free(geometry);

g_VBE.glGenBuffersARB(1, &indBuffer);
g_VBE.glBufferDataARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, sizeof(indices), indices, GL_STREAM_DRAW_ARB);
}
/*Renders one frame*/
void Render()
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
gluLookAt(0.0, 1.5, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glPushMatrix();

glRotatef(angle, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);

// bind vertex and index buffers
g_VBE.glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, geomBuffer);
glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, BUFFER_OFFSET(0)); // last param is offset, not ptr
glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 0, BUFFER_OFFSET(24*sizeof(GLfloat))); // bind the normals buffer

glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY); // activate vertex coords array
glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY); // activate nomral coords array

// draw 6 quads using offset of index array
glDrawElements(GL_QUADS, 24, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, 0);

glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY); // deactivate vertex array
glDisableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY); // deactivate normal array
glPopMatrix();

angle += 0.2;
if (angle >= 360.0f)
{
angle = 0.0f;
}
glLoadIdentity();
glFlush();

/* Bring back buffer to foreground
*/

SwapBuffers(g_hdc);
}

[Edited by - Megamorph on June 10, 2009 9:33:36 AM]

try removing the

i.e position the cube at 0,0,0 in identity space

Quote:

try removing the

i.e position the cube at 0,0,0 in identity space

I did now... Lighting is just as messed up as it was... And how was that supposed to help me, exactly? I think we've established that the light wasn't rotating with the cube, or at least that it wasn't the real problem.

I don't mean to be mean to people who are trying to help me, I think I just watched too much House M.D., so my sarcasm center is a bit overexcited. My frustration center is also overstimulated...

And is anyone going to be willing to look at the code rather than the pictures? I mean, I know it's such a pretty cube, but [disturbed]...

I read out from the VBO to debug (using the glMapBufferARB function) and I got the same result that I put in, meaning that the data that is loaded appears correct, unless I'm missing something.

Quote:
And how was that supposed to help me, exactly?

always simplify the problem as much as possible

u have 18normals, yet 24verts

Quote:
always simplify the problem as much as possible

I agree, that's why I started out with a cube. But changing coordinates of the whole object doesn't really help with the lighting / rendering issues...

Quote:
u have 18normals, yet 24verts

LOL, I was waiting for someone to bring that up... How ironic.

I have 8 verts (24 coords), which compose a cube with 6 faces. 6 quads need 6 normals, each normal is represented by 3 floats, 6 * 3 yeilds 18, hence the normals array contains 18 floats.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but since we're going for a flat rendering, those should be face normals - not vertex normals. In this decision I was going off some earlier gamedev.net post about some other normals issue and the sugguestion therein, as well as tutorials, such as this one, which use old-style GLbegin/GLend blocks to render a cube with normals (scroll down).

Although that does arouse suspicion... How would I then render a smooth-shaded mesh (how does OpenGL know whether to expect vertex normals or face normals?)

Perhaps I'm wrong and all I need is to calculate 8 vertex normals instead. In this case, would a vertex normal then = (normals of all adjacent faces)/(number of all adjacent faces)?

Since you want hard edges, each face of the cube is made of 4 unique verts, and no two faces share any verts. Remember that a vert is a unique combination of position+normal (and any other attributes you add in the future like uv, color, etc).

You only have one index buffer, and that indexes into an array of positions and normals with the same index. 6 indices per face * 6 faces = 36 indices. 4 verts per face * 6 faces = 24 verts.

That means your index array should be sized at 36 (assuming triangle list), and your position and normal array should have 24 entries (24 float3's = 72 floats). Yes, your positions and normals will be duplicated, but each of your verts will be unique.

An array of positions and an array of normals of different sizes doesn't make sense if you only have one index buffer.

Smooth edges share more verts, so you wouldn't need 24 unique verts to describe a cube, you could do it with 8.

Well if you're doing Face normals, then surely you only need 6 normals, one for each face.

Also, as OpenGL is a state machine, normals can be per-Vertex or per-Face. Using Immediate mode as an example.

This will be Per-Face Normals

glNorma3f(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glVertex3f(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
glVertex3f(0.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glVertex3f(1.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glVertex3f(1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
glEnd();

This will be Per-Vertex Normals

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glNorma3f(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
glVertex3f(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
glNorma3f(0.0, 1.0, 1.0);
glVertex3f(0.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glNorma3f(1.0, 0.0, 1.0);
glVertex3f(1.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glNorma3f(1.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glVertex3f(1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
glEnd();

The numbers are arbitrary, it's the function calls that are important in this example.

Quote:
Original post by Megamorph
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but since we're going for a flat rendering, those should be face normals - not vertex normals. In this decision I was going off some earlier gamedev.net post about some other normals issue and the sugguestion therein, as well as tutorials, such as this one, which use old-style GLbegin/GLend blocks to render a cube with normals (scroll down).

Although that does arouse suspicion... How would I then render a smooth-shaded mesh (how does OpenGL know whether to expect vertex normals or face normals?)

Perhaps I'm wrong and all I need is to calculate 8 vertex normals instead. In this case, would a vertex normal then = (normals of all adjacent faces)/(number of all adjacent faces)?

Yes, you are wrong. When using "face" normals, you really specify the same normal for all the vertices in the face. When using OpenGL immediate mode (glVertex/glNormal), it just uses the last specified normal for all your vertices. OpenGL does not have any magic to recognize whether you are using face or vertex normals.

GL_FLAT vs. GL_SMOOTH lighting only affects the way the computed lighting values are interpolated across the pixels in the same face, and has nothing to do with face vs. vertex normals.

For VBO's/Vertex arrays you need to have one normal per vertex, if there are identical normals, then just copy the same normal to all vertices that share the normal. The same goes for all the other vertex attributes (texture coordinates, etc).

So, for a cube you need 24 vertices that are made by combining the 8 vertex coordinates with the 6 normal vectors (and maybe 4 texture coordinates). If you have the vertices, vertex indices (8 vertices + 36 indices) and normals + normal indices (6 normals + 36 indices), you can whip up an algorithm that combines them into the 24 vertex+normal combinations and 36 indices. These can then be optionally triangle stripped and vertex cache locality optimized at this point. This data is then fed to the VBO + index buffer and then rendered.

If you're using C++, std::map (or std::set) can prove helpful when writing the algorithm for interleaving multiple "planes" of vertex data + indices into one big interleaved vertex data+indices batch that's ready for your GPU to chew on.

-riku

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but since we're going for a flat rendering, those should be face normals - not vertex normals.

In fact, you are quite right about GL_FLAT - It can indeed be used to render face normals without duplicating too much data.
But that doesn't work with your memory layout. You just need to make sure that the first vertex in each quad has the normal you want to use.
In your example, you use the first normal (0,0,1) for the first three faces, so that doesn't work.
Either way, the memory you use for the normals has to have the same number of elements as the vertex array. You need 8 elements in both - Even if they aren't used for shading!

Huh, that's a neat idea.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

To clarify...

So, LtJax, if I'm following you right, I just need to make sure I'm using the correct normals - 8 vertex normals instead of 6 face normals?

Or should I have a separate set of indices to denote which vertex should use which normal, as riku sugguested? And if so, how does that work? (I was not familiar that OpenGL even supported normal-indexing.)

Or, perhaps, I should go with the most basic implication with no complex algorithms and use 24 normals and 24 vertices, one normal per vertex?

OpenGL does not support seperate indices for normals. If you wanna do that, you have to draw in immediate mode.
You will need 8 normals, yes - but this is mostly a technical requirement when working with buffers. The sizes have to match!
When you are using flat shading, only the first normal in each quad ever gets used. You can basically "abuse" this to get face normals. You will never render 2 of those 8 normals tho.
So what you need to do is add 2 dummy normals and rearrage the indices so that the first index in each quad points to the vertex with the normal you want to use for the whole face.