[MAC OSX, C++] Sound? OpenAL?

Started by
4 comments, last by bubu LV 14 years, 10 months ago
Hello everyone! I programmed a game using OpenGL graphix and C++ and it is quite finish now. The main thing, which i still miss, is a sound implementation. I'm writing the game for Mac OS X, but I would prefer staying platform independent, to have the ability to compile it for Win and Linux, too. For now, it's theoretically platform independent. So, which sound library should I use? I found OpenAL and I can easily embed it in my software, but I don't really know, how to use it? Of course, there are several nice tutorials in the web, but they all use ALUT and that's not supported by the latest version of OpenAL. They deleted the alut.h file and others. So, these tutorials unfortunately are useless for me. And i found some more interesting sound libraries for game programmers. With these I've got another problem. I cannot include them into my project. I read something about one should create a framework file out of the compiled .dylib and put it into the XCode project, but everything I found in the web, did not really work. I found a Python script, which should create those framework files from .dylib, but it didn't work.
Advertisement
What are you using for windowing and input?
I use GLUT for keyboard and mouse input and for windowing.

On topic: I just found some OpenAL examples on the official Apple Website, but I've got the same problem here. Everything is a little too old and they all are useless now.
What exactly is old in OpenAL tutorials?
alut init/exit functions can be easily replaced with alc functions.
And for WAV loading you just simply use what suits best for you - mp3, ogg, or whatever else library. For example ALURE (it also includes alternatives to alutInit/Exit functions).
The OpenAL tutorials use ALUT and that's not supported anymore. The tutorials given by apple are too old, says XCode. I cannot open the XCode project files.

what is alc? could you please give me an example?

ALURE looks very interesting, but i don't get it embedded in my project right now. How can I manage it working with my project in XCode?
alc functions are documented in OpenAL documentation.
They are used for opening audio device and creating OpenAL context (think about it similary as about OpenGL context).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement