need HELP in building MMO

Started by
10 comments, last by samyphp 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi there, am decided to develop MMO using Flash, actionscript3 and Smartfox server. am already developed a bingo game using smartfox server. am new to building MMO games. can i get help regarding this..? Is this right choice to choose smartfox server...? Can i get any tutorials to built MMO's using smartfox and flash..? i want to built a game like this http://www.greatplaygames.com/index.php?ind=reviews&op=entry_view&iden=750 thanks, Palanisamy
Advertisement
I'm not sure about Flash and Smartfox server stuff, but you'll probably have a difficult time finding a tutorial that shows you how to build a MMO. I've never even seen an MMO tutorial for a traditional game language (C++, C#). Furthermore MMO's are one of, if not THE, hardest style of game to create, so unless you are knowledgable and have tons of time on your hands I'd suggest rethinking the type of game you want to develop.

Good luck on your project!

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Stop.

First, please define "MMO".

Be detailed.
thanks for your reply guys...
MMO - Massive multiplayer online games

any help on this topic will be appreciated...

thanks,
Palanisamy
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Be detailed.

Writing MMO without the abbreviation is not what he wanted I believe ^^
Quote:Original post by samyphp
thanks for your reply guys...
MMO - Massive multiplayer online games

any help on this topic will be appreciated...

thanks,
Palanisamy

i think, the question meant, how many players simultaneously, how big a world, etc etc.

also, have you ever actually written a networked application or game before.
your never as good as they say you were, never as bad as they say you was.

I think as everyone has already pointed out, you need to give us details or at least think about what you're building and how practical that will be.

I've seen some great MMos wasted with a maximum of 100 people online at any given time. The last thing you want to be doing is building a world scaled for 1000 or 10000 people and scare that 5-10 people who log in at any given time.

This really leads on to the concept of building an MMO being flawed. If all you're going to get is 5-10 people, then it isn't an MMO after all. It is a regular multiplayer game that you may decide to add persistence to.

The best help I can give you is not to look for MMO tutorials but rather break down your game concept and idea into individual features and mechanisms.

How are you going to build up your world (think bandwidth, memory and processor limits)?

What sort of information are you going to store about the player (think persistence, what can be discarded, cheating)?

How are players going to navigate around the world (think maps, controls, collision detection, menu systems, interactive items)?

That's all I have time for right now but you get the general picture I hope.

What kind of game? FPS? RTS? RPG?
What graphics? 3D? 2D? Isometric?
What world? Cities? Dungeons? Landscapes? Free space?
All important stuff that you must supply know before you can get sensible advice.
thanks for your kind advice guys... :)

I want to Built an MMORPG (Massively multiplayer online role-playing game) in 2D. I given a brief note about my game below.

There are two factions; Vampires and Humans. The two factions battle each other in different rooms which are battle zones, and they earn points from defeating a foe. These points can later be used to purchase more advanced weapons.

http://www.greatplaygames.com/index.php?ind=reviews&op=entry_view&iden=750
The above game is somewhat like my idea, however lacking strategy.

After creating a character, a person will log on, and spawn in a high school, during the day, where both races (Vampire and Human) can chat. When you enter another zone, you are spawned in a city at night, with weapons.

The goal is to defeat as many opponents as possible. Each race has a starting point in a city, and will re-spawn there, and charge forward with others towards their enemies.
Players map their movement by pressing SHIFT, a target will appear, Clicking to place the target, and watching the player move to the target. While moving towards the target, the player selects a weapon or attack to do, by pressing the keys 1-9.

For example, if a vampire might want to attack, they'd put the target behind their enemy, and while rushing at them, press the attack button when they're close enough. However, for humans, they might put a target behind themselves, and whilst walking backwards, shoot at the vampire heading towards them.

regards,
Palanisamy
still no technical information

lets put it this way, you can build an MMO in whatever language you want. except, itll take you ages, theres a few people who've done it on their own, well, i say done, they are still developing seven years later .

basically, if youve never written a network game before, you aint gonna write a MMO. maybe a MO, perhaps a O, but not a MMO, in its true definition (1000's of players online simultaneously across multiple servers).

Also, sounds like youll infringe twilight copyright, or any number of japanese films.

anyhoo, try scaling back your ambition to something achievable, make a RPG with co-op for example. that will give you a good heads up on what you actually can achieve.
your never as good as they say you were, never as bad as they say you was.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement