Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

ATI Catalyst 9.6 drivers supports GS finally!

Well, the extension is not yet exposed (but probably will be soon).

In fact, AMD is doing a pretty good job with their new OpenGL drivers. From my experiences, they're very stable and quite reliable. Unlike anything ATI has ever delivered back then.

It's still a bit annoying that they don't expose VTC compression (DXTC for 3D textures). But that's unfortunately due to a patent issue, so they don't really have a choice.

Quote:
Original post by Yann L
Well, the extension is not yet exposed (but probably will be soon).

In fact, AMD is doing a pretty good job with their new OpenGL drivers. From my experiences, they're very stable and quite reliable. Unlike anything ATI has ever delivered back then.

It's still a bit annoying that they don't expose VTC compression (DXTC for 3D textures). But that's unfortunately due to a patent issue, so they don't really have a choice.

I hear you YannL, ATI's drivers in the past were horrible... I wonder why they have decided now to make better OpenGL drivers? I see they even have OpenCL available to download and use as developers right now also.

They've blatantly got a mole in these forums and have had enough of us all slagging off ATi drivers.

Either that or they've got a new member of staff on board who is pro OpenGL in which case

"Go mysterious pro-OpenGL ATi Driver developer!!"

They may have thought that the release of 3.0 was a good time to start a clean slate and remove some of the bad image they have as a result of their previous driver support.

I think it has much to do with Linux and OSX clients. Since ATI was overtaken bij AMD there is a change going. They are giving a good effort to provide good Linux drivers. They are also opening up the specs of the hardware and already gave a tremendous amount of information about their gpu's so that open source developers have all information necessary to develop open source drivers for AMD graphics hardware.

Part of good Linux support is providing good OpenGL drivers because that is the only thing available in Linux. According to this source, Dell wanted better Linux drivers for AMD hardware. Since then AMD has made some good progression.

Another thing might be Blizzard... AMD and Blizzard have a partnership together. And isn't Blizzard developing games for Mac as well? OpenGL is the only choice on the Mac, so I guess Blizzard really wants nice OpenGL drivers for the Mac.

Btw: a while ago a Blizzard guy (Rob Barris) posted on the OpenGL forums that he thought that geometry shaders were already available in both nVidia and AMD drivers. A small mistake? Or perhaps he knew more (a beta driver which already supported geometry shaders for example)? ;)