Problem getting Qt to work on windows

Started by
5 comments, last by mvBarracuda 14 years, 10 months ago
After installing qt, I ran the configure file. I tried to run make, and it said:

cd src\winmain && mingw32-make -f Makefile
The system cannot find the path specified.
mingw32-make: *** [sub-winmain-make_default-ordered] Error 1

I have tried many different things to get it to make, and yet nothing works. Anybody have any idea why I am having problems getting qt to make, and subsequently qt projects cannot make either. Qmake works fine, it's just trying to make after that, that doesn't work. I have very little knowledge for this type of stuff. Thanks.
Advertisement
It looks like you need to install MingW (it's all changed now, but I think you'll want the MSYS base system), which mimics the GNU development environment under Windows.
[TheUnbeliever]
Hah, I have had minGW set up and working for a very long time now. I have installed make many, many times, but it never seems to work right, no matter how I have configured it.
I have had similar problems getting to install Qt on windows. I tried out cygwin too but that didn't work either.

So I finally installed an old version (3.3.4)of Qt which was designed to work with windows. You can get it here

Its basically a msvc.net project that builds out of the box giving you all the required libs. So no mingw or cygwin required. Hope this helps.
I personally don't think that installing a very old QT version is the way to go. There are major improvements between the old Qt 3.x and the newer Qt 4.x versions.

I had the same issues when I installed Qt4 on my system about a year or two ago. AFAIR the trick was to use the Qt package that actually came with a bundled mingw version instead of using the one that shipped without it. While it should have worked in theory with the 2nd version as well, if you already had mingw installed, it did never work for me.

EDIT: I just checked the Qt website and they don't seem to offer these two versions anymore. I'm just downloading their latest release and will try to get it building with mingw here. Once I hopefully figured it out, I'll report back here.
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors
Have you tried compiling from Qt Creator? The Qt SDK comes with project files for Qt Creator. The Qt Creator Installer can also download and install MinGW for you. For me it worked right out of the box.
Hmm, I just installed the latest qt release. After I entered the qt command prompt and built qt with the following line: configure -release -opensource

It seems to work just fine here. You can see all the possible build switches by running configure -help. How did you build qt?

Btw.: I installed mingw alongside with qt4, I simply checked the mingw option in the qt installer.
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement