Sign in to follow this  

Realtime Collision Detection - Method of creating Plane makes no sense to me

This topic is 3105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For those of you who have the book: Realtime Collision Detection by Christer Ericson I am stuck on P194 where the book shows me how to create a Triangle struct with Planes. "For a triangle ABC, the triangle stucture tri can be initalized as follows." The lines of code I am having a problem with are:

tri.p = Plane(n, a);  // n = Normal, a = tri.a (Point A in the triangle)
tri.edgePlaneBC = Plane(Cross(n, c - b), b);
tri.edgePlaneCA = Plane(Cross(n, a - c), c);

From what I can understand is the code is telling me to create a Plane using a Normal and another parameter. I assumed it would probably be the D of the Plane but seeing as a, b and c are all Vector3's then that couldn't be possible as the D is always a float. I am not sure what that other parameter is though, can anyone please help me? Thanks guys.

Here is how the constructor in question would likely be implemented (C++-ish pseudocode):
Plane::Plane(Vector3 normal, Vector3 point) :
normal(normal), distance(dot(point, normal))
{
}
For this form of a plane, we know that p.n = d, where n is the plane normal, d is the plane distance, and p is any point on the plane. If we have a point available that we know lies on the plane, we can compute the distance directly from this point and the plane normal using the aforementioned equation.

hmmmmmm :) let me see
perhaps its a point on the triangle (eg one of the corners)

tri.p = Plane(n, a); // n = Normal, a = tri.a (Point A in the triangle) <- slight clue :)

Yes, a,b, and c are the points of the triangle, n is the normal of the triangle which gets calculated from the part you removed:

Triangle tri;
Vector n = Cross(b - a,c - a);

n doesn't seem to be normalized, maybe its done in the Plane constructor/function.

What the code does is fill the Triangle structure consisting of the 3 perpendicular planes to the triangle normal that pass through the edges of the triangle (See figure 5.25 on page 193), in the book, it is used to get barycentric coordinates.

I get you.

Would this be a correct implementation then (in C#):

public struct CD_Plane
{
private Vector3 normal; // Plane Normal. Points (x) on the Plane satisfy: Vector3.Dot(Normal, x) = D
private float d; // D = Vector3.Dot(Normal, p) for a given point (p) on the Plane

/// <summary>
/// Given 3 noncollinear Points [ordered Counter-Clockwise] compute the plane equation
/// (3 or more points are said to be collinear if they lie on a single straight line)
/// </summary>
/// <param name="a">Point 1 (As Vector3)</param>
/// <param name="b">Point 2 (As Vector3)</param>
/// <param name="c">Point 3 (As Vector3)</param>
public CD_Plane(Vector3 a, Vector3 b, Vector3 c)
{
this.normal = Vector3.Normalize(Vector3.Cross(b - a, c - a));
this.d = Vector3.Dot(this.normal, a);
}

/// <summary>
/// If we have a Point available that we know lies on the Plane.
/// We can compute the distance directly from this Point and the plane normal using:
/// distance = (Vector3.Dot(Point, Normal))
/// </summary>
/// <param name="normal">Plane Normal</param>
/// <param name="point">Point that lies on Plane</param>
public CD_Plane(Vector3 normal, Vector3 point)
{
this.normal = Vector3.Normalize(normal);
this.d = Vector3.Dot(this.normal, point);
}

public Vector3 Normal
{
get { return this.normal; }
}

public float D
{
get { return this.d; }
}
}

All feedback welcome.

Thanks for your help.

This topic is 3105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.