Runtime Requirements (Directx and VC++)

Started by
4 comments, last by adityav89 14 years, 10 months ago
Hello people , What are the runtime dll.'s , resources that we need to pack along with a game that was written in C++(Win32) using VS2005 and directx 9 ?? to make it work in any PC with XP or Vista installed. I would really like to know this. thank you
Advertisement
depends on the directx sdk you have realy. but pretty much to find those file you go to the dx sdk folder>redist and there you will have zip files containing the dlls you need(i for example i use march's 2009 sdk, so i contain the files inside Mar2009_d3dx9_41_x86 in my game when i send it to people(ofc you can do the same with 64 bit version).
ok then what vc++( visual studio 2005) runtime's should i ship along with the game ?
This is what you need as well:

Link to VC runtime redist

Don't pull the DLL's out of the .CAB files in the Redist folder! It's a violation of the EULA. What you want to do is create an installer for your app, and have the installer copy over the the .CAB files for the version of the SDK you're targeting (and the components you're using) and then run DXSETUP.exe. That installer will then handle copying and placing the DLL's for you.

For the VC++ redistributable, make sure you get the SP1 version of you have Service Pack 1 installed for Visual Studio 2005.
ok so what i need to do is :

1.Put the game file's / .exe in a folder (like "game")
2.Put the files/DLL's from the dx-sdk folder>redist in the folder (like "game")
3.Put the VC++ runtime installer in the folder (like "game")
4.The game must work now ??

Am i missing anything ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement