Sign in to follow this  
irish18

Computing Science - Relevant?

Hello, Just started programming and I'm about to start a Software Development course at college which will lead, hopefully, to Computing Science at University. Firstly; is Computing Science the relevant degree in the games world? Also, so far ive only been using C#, should i branch out into other languages for games development? Thanks.

Quote:

Firstly; is Computing Science the relevant degree in the games world?

If it is at all like what is called "computer science" in the US, yes. If you want to be a programmer, that is.

Quote:

Also, so far ive only been using C#, should i branch out into other languages for games development?

Ultimately, a skilled programmer will know many languages and be able to pick up many more. When you acquire proficiency with those other languages is another matter. If you've only just started programming I would not recommend trying to pick up too many languages early on. Stick with C# for a while until you are very comfortable with building the kinds of programs you want to build with it.

Before getting into games, make sure you have a solid understanding of the language you are using.

Depending on which aspect of game development you want to go into there are different things you should know.

Just as a short list, there is:
Graphics programming (OpenGL/DirectX)
Network programming
Physics
AI
Tools (ie level editors)

Also depending on where you work, you may need to know a specific game engine.

If you learn the basics well, then your knowledge will be able to be migrated over to another programming language easily.