GPL for dummies?

Started by
24 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
I've no problem with that clause. I'm releasing my software dynamically linked against LGPL libraries. This phrase may sound rude to american, but all the chances are your software is not interesting enough to reverse engineer either. Besides, reverse engineering is allowed in many countries in EU, so if you worry about reverse engineering you better don't release your software at all.

I'm not too worried about my personal programs. Sure, I'd like them to be legally protected from backwards engineering, but like you said there's very little chance anyone would care to. The big problem comes with commercial software. When I worked at Sorenson Media (which mostly deals with video encoding) and we were working on a new product someone thought of using ffmpeg for one thing or another. I don't know if it was actually used or not (or if it will be in the future), but if they did it might make it harder to fight the competition since the competition could then legally reverse engineer any innovations made in the program (though they might do that anyway even if it were illegal). I didn't know about the EU reverse engineering thing though. Oh well though, I don't need to worry about it right now; it's not causing me any problems. But it is good to know.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
Straight from the horse's mouth You do not have to distribute server side code. Note they have the so called Affero GPL that forces server side software distrobution.
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular
I'm not too worried about my personal programs. Sure, I'd like them to be legally protected from backwards engineering, but like you said there's very little chance anyone would care to. The big problem comes with commercial software. When I worked at Sorenson Media (which mostly deals with video encoding) and we were working on a new product someone thought of using ffmpeg for one thing or another. I don't know if it was actually used or not (or if it will be in the future), but if they did it might make it harder to fight the competition since the competition could then legally reverse engineer any innovations made in the program (though they might do that anyway even if it were illegal). I didn't know about the EU reverse engineering thing though. Oh well though, I don't need to worry about it right now; it's not causing me any problems. But it is good to know.

I'm yet to see example of software that would be worthwhile to reverse-engineer for reasons other than format, protocol, or other compatibility. Can you name any examples when someone 'reverse engineered' some software to steal some innovation?
I'm really glad reverse engineering is legal in some countries, else I'd get totally stuck with windows because I wouldn't be able to read NTFS or FAT32 from other OS (ditto for microsoft word).
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular

I'm yet to see example of software that would be worthwhile to reverse-engineer for reasons other than format, protocol, or other compatibility. Can you name any examples when someone 'reverse engineered' some software to steal some innovation?
I'm really glad reverse engineering is legal in some countries, else I'd get totally stuck with windows because I wouldn't be able to read NTFS or FAT32 from other OS (ditto for microsoft word).

Wordy word. Plus, for the unaware, they (which includes several projects) didn't "steal" innovation (and even when, where would we be if everybody would be forced to re-invent the wheel, if the wheel-idea would be forbidden to copy? Or the von-Neumann thoughts? etc.), but in fact try to clean room implement things.
Disclaimer about me (off-topic, POV):

I know this is not the perfect world for a GPL (in such a world programmers would be more like carpenters who work as needed, and be fixing burst pipes / bugs at users home, and be timbering tables and chairs / writing and installing software,..., "Peter?" "Yes, Darling?" "Could you search the number of the next hacker around from the yellow pages?" "Sure, are you looking for a new feature?" "Yes, it annoys me that I must always walk over the whole menu tree just to make a small box around some text!"), and I understand your position. But I am personally a great fan of a real knowledge society; I am not against software patents in general, but would prefer if they lasted only a few years, say 1 or 3 or so, plus many of the patented knowledge is absoulte non-sense. I am also against forbidding to re-engineer software, because it's like forbidding to open up my computer tower and study the mainboard layout. I am definitely not an advocate of forcing everyone to release your code for no charge, maybe in a remote future, but not know.

Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by phresnel
ensuring openness and placing that restriction on derivative products as well, while preserving author's rights.

I think it is personal opinion to describe "ensuring openness" as a restriction. How would you call it when A makes some free software for the sake of freedom, B then grabs a copy of A's work, puts a proprietary license upon it, and re-markets that now restricted version to customers, so that customers have no freedom with respect to the product they paid their money for? [car sneaks in] Maybe so that the customer is forbidden to re-sell the software/car, and the customer needs to destroy the discs/crush the car himself in order to legally trash it. (I know that the car is not a perfect equivalent of software, but the act of buying/owning/tweaking/learning/reselling)

Imho, that's a restriction, and while MIT+Co. are less restricting in themselves, it is easy to convert such software into a restricted variant, and hence morph the something that was produced for public sake into something that is a blind-alley, because it lies in customers attic, useless to those who don't have a license.

So, while GPL is more restricting in what it allows, it helps to keep the underlying product/software unrestricted, and for that, copyleft is necessary, because a GPL with alienable copyright would be the legal same as MIT+Co., as the copyright owner is the one who is allowed to change the license.

Quote:Do you now understand why it might be necessary to underline the ideological basis of the GPL, but not of, say, BSD?

Pardon, no. I still see BSD+Co. (sorry for all the XXX+Co.) as:
Quote:Here's my software I have (maybe) cooked up in my spare time over years. Do what you want with it, if you make money or other profit with it, I don't care, I am only interested in the coding part (example missing) and maybe the widespread use (X). It doesn't matter to me whether you refine that meal with your secret ingredient and tell me about those so I can do better next time, or if you live a good life with my recipe + your ingredients and leave me back in my small kitchen, and you and the others you plagiarise me will be the only ones in the world who ever profit from it.

If you are unsure, the GPL gives you more safety w.r.t. your code, in that plagiarising your work is legally problematic, and later you can still switch to BSD or the like.
In the measure about who has the most legal rights upon a piece of code or the product, I think the following can be said:

* Original author: GPL
* Direct users of that code (i.e. library users and those who tweaked the code): MIT
* "People" or "End-Users": GPL

While MIT also gives end-users libre, but which can be changed and restricted, GPL guarantees that end-user-freedom.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement