Our TCP game reset by hackers - here's how

Started by
17 comments, last by owl 14 years, 10 months ago
Our multiplayer game has a small community of dedicated players. However, it does not deter a couple of morons from causing problems for us. The “hackers” basically telnet to our game IP/port, send a message and then close. This causes our games to reset. Since we do not have the game source code, is there any way for us to prevent this from happening, maybe a firewall setting..? The hackers say they know how to stop it.. Thank you
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Rich76
Our multiplayer game has a small community of dedicated players. However, it does not deter a couple of morons from causing problems for us.

The “hackers” basically telnet to our game IP/port, send a message and then close. This causes our games to reset. Since we do not have the game source code, is there any way for us to prevent this from happening, maybe a firewall setting..?

The hackers say they know how to stop it..

Thank you

It sounds like it's a flaw in the game server software. If they're connecting to the same location the game client would, a firewall is not going to stop it. Do you know what message they're sending? Also, perhaps someone here is familiar with the game if you tell us the name.
Patrick
Quote:Original post by prh99
Our multiplayer game has a small community of dedicated players. However, it does not deter a couple of morons from causing problems for us.

The “hackers” basically telnet to our game IP/port, send a message and then close. This causes our games to reset. Since we do not have the game source code, is there any way for us to prevent this from happening, maybe a firewall setting..?

Thank you

It sounds like it's a flaw in the game server software. If they're connecting to the same location the game client would, a firewall is not going to stop it. Do you know what message they're sending? Also, perhaps someone here is familiar with the game if you tell us the name.

They can send any message. It could be "1", so as long as they send something, then close. I didn't want to say the game name, since I don't want more hackers doing the same thing.

It's a small game. I don't think anyone here has heard of it, but I'll PM the name to you, if it will help?

Thank you for helping.
They can send any message. It could be "1", so as long as they send something, then close.

So if anyone connects to your server and sends data, the server crashes.

A strange game - the only winning move is not to play.

There must be more that I'm missing though, what you probably mean is that they send malformed packet or something similar.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
They can send any message. It could be "1", so as long as they send something, then close.

So if anyone connects to your server and sends data, the server crashes.

A strange game - the only winning move is not to play.

There must be more that I'm missing though, what you probably mean is that they send malformed packet or something similar.

Hmm, good point. Let me PM the bat file they are executing (hope it's okay).

Thank you

They can send any message. It could be "1", so as long as they send something, then close. I didn't want to say the game name, since I don't want more hackers doing the same thing.

It's a small game. I don't think anyone here has heard of it, but I'll PM the name to you, if it will help?

Thank you for helping.

That sounds like a major flaw in the server software. Sorry, I personally don't know that could I help. Other than looking for a patch from the people who made the game I am not sure what you could do.
Patrick
That sounds like major flaw in server software. Sorry, I personally don't that could I help. Other than looking for a patch from the people who made the game I am not sure what you could do.

Is my issue what I think it is, after looking at the PM I sent you?

Thanks

That sounds like major flaw in server software. Sorry, I personally don't that could I help. Other than looking for a patch from the people who made the game I am not sure what you could do.

Thanks

Yep, looks like it to me. Connect, send anything, and close and the room resets.
Patrick

Thanks

Yep, looks like it to me. Connect, send anything, and close and the room resets.

Thank you prh99.

Antheus, thanks for the PM you sent me with our options.

Thanks

Thank you prh99.

Antheus, thanks for the PM you sent me with our options.

No problem, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Patrick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement