Sign in to follow this  
genwhite

wow type texturing maps

genwhite    100
My apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, I just came across this forum and website yesterday, and I had a question regarding texturing landscapes in 3DS Max. I notice in WoW, if you look at the textures that make up the ground, they have a path that has a seamless, repeated texture in just the path area, and the rest of the area is grass. I assume that what they did was make a map on a paint program, made the ground texture out of solid colors, and applied a particular type of texture to the color that made up, say, the path. To try and clarify, take a square and paint the whole thing green. Airbrush in a brown line into the green texture, so there is a sloppy brown line on a green background. Can you somehow use a particular type of texturing style in 3DS Max that would then apply a repeating texture to that color in the program? If I wasn't clear, just let me know, I will add some images to try and help clarify. I look forward to hearing from you, and getting a little bit of help! ~Genwhite

Riraito    127
What they do in wow is actually use 4 layers, each layer is made up of 1 texture tiled over and over again. the top 3 layers also have one big alpha map each that covers the whole grid to determine the opacity of that layer, which gives the effect, like you said, of airbrushing with tiles. I don't know if max has support for something like that, they might have used their own internal tools for that.

Riraito    127
Quote:
Original post by godsenddeath
I've never played WOW, but from what you've described, it sounds like multitexturing.

Yep it basically is multitexturing, only a little bit more complicated since for every 8x8 block of tiles there is one alpha map, does max do anything like that?

genwhite    100
Quote:
Original post by Riraito

Yep it basically is multitexturing, only a little bit more complicated since for every 8x8 block of tiles there is one alpha map, does max do anything like that?

Any tutorials available on multitexturing? Preferably a video tutorial? :P

[Edited by - genwhite on June 18, 2009 2:56:13 PM]

godsenddeath    182
generally stuff like that would be done in a terrain engine, it could probably be done using shaders in a modeling package like 3dsMax, it's usually done using an image as a reference to decide which texture is used at each pixel.

Luna's DirectX 9 book has a pretty good example, but I've never seen a good online tutorial for it.