Veterens and experienced..... HELP US!!!!!

Started by
29 comments, last by Zakwayda 14 years, 9 months ago
Im a kid who wants to learn how to program c++ andim probably not the only one so I was wondering if more experienced programmers help me and any other begginers who join this forum. Please sure your vast knoledge of the code oh coding ones!
Advertisement
You can start by helping yourself :)

Grab Visual Studio Express 2008 from here. This will let you make programs written in C++ (it's a big download).

and have a look at one of the many C++ tutorials on the net.. Here's a good one, and hopefully some others will recommend more.

Play around for abit and save up a bunch of questions, then ask us!
Quote:Im a kid who wants to learn how to program c++ andim probably not the only one so I was wondering if more experienced programmers help me and any other begginers who join this forum. Please sure your vast knoledge of the code oh coding ones!
You'll probably have more luck if you ask specific questions. Is there anything in particular you want to know?

Also, many here would suggest starting with a language other than C++ if you're a beginner to programming. (The two most commonly recommended alternatives seem to be C# and Python.)
There are plenty of experienced people out there willing to help, however they don't (usually) have the time to teach you everything. Do a little research and come back with a few specific questions if you get stuck. Searching through these forums will come up with hundreds of others who have asked the same or similar questions. Look at the responses they have got.

After all, the most important thing you need to learn is how to find answers to problems, and not just get the answers given to you.

The most important attributes of a developer are enthusiasm and a desire to learn. Show you have those attributes and people will be only too willing to help.
thanks guys ill post up some questions as i progress
lol i just thought of a question whats the difference between c++ and c# i know what python is already
Quote:Original post by thegnap
lol i just thought of a question whats the difference between c++ and c# i know what python is already

They are both different languages and do things differently.
Probably all you need to know at this stage is that c# was developed by Microsoft from c++. That means it's newer and is probably a little easier for beginners to learn, but it's also more restricted to Windows programming.

(There are lots of other detailed differences, but until you start learning, they won't mean much to you)

(Oh, and people will argue for hours over which is the best / most suited / easiest. I will only say that as a professional games programmer, I use c++, make of that what you want.)
thsnks alot
In my opinion, it's the book/tutorial and not the language that determines if something is easy to learn or not. I still remember years back in school where they give lessons in Java because, according to them, that was easy to learn. About 85% failed after the second test and after 2 years 75% was unable to code properly. You can screw up any language if you don't have a proper guide to teach you how to use it correctly.

If you are new to programming, perhaps you should use some libraries first and don't get directly into stuff WIN32 API. I personally find the WIN32 API one of the ugliest I have seen, it can be confusing to new programmers. Once you know the basics of the language, you can use APIs like this without messing up your code with it. And one more hint: don't turn warnings off in your compiler, way to many people do that but warnings are there for a reason. I've seen people wondering for hours why their code doesn't give the correct output, only to find out they were passing a wrong datatype but had because they had warnings turned off it took hours to find out.
Quote:Original post by MichaBen
In my opinion, it's the book/tutorial and not the language that determines if something is easy to learn or not. I still remember years back in school where they give lessons in Java because, according to them, that was easy to learn. About 85% failed after the second test and after 2 years 75% was unable to code properly. You can screw up any language if you don't have a proper guide to teach you how to use it correctly.

If you are new to programming, perhaps you should use some libraries first and don't get directly into stuff WIN32 API. I personally find the WIN32 API one of the ugliest I have seen, it can be confusing to new programmers. Once you know the basics of the language, you can use APIs like this without messing up your code with it. And one more hint: don't turn warnings off in your compiler, way to many people do that but warnings are there for a reason. I've seen people wondering for hours why their code doesn't give the correct output, only to find out they were passing a wrong datatype but had because they had warnings turned off it took hours to find out.

I would go one further and suggest you set the compiler to treat all warnings as errors. As MichaBen said they are there for a reason :)

"I have more fingers in more pies than a leper at a bakery!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement