Veterens and experienced..... HELP US!!!!!

Started by
29 comments, last by Zakwayda 14 years, 10 months ago
thanks again and this might be off beat to programming but what is it actually like working in a gaming company or whatever, is like a fun enviroment with young vibrant people and always doing crazy and silly things or is it serious and well depressing at times. I want to know everything!!!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by thegnap
... what is it actually like working in a gaming company or whatever, is like a fun enviroment with young vibrant people and always doing crazy and silly things or is it serious and well depressing at times. I want to know everything!!!

It's kind of like working at McDonalds but with longer hours and no polyester uniform.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

It's like a desk job. You sit at your computer and do your work. I suppose to give you a better reference, it's like work.

The difference is, you are doing something you enjoy as opposed you are doing something JUST to make a living. If you have a passion for gaming AND a passion for programming, and don't mind being one of the lowest paid programmers in the world, then it could indeed be a career plan for you. Just keep in mind that it is a tough industry to get into and as I mentioned, it isn't the most lucrative position for a program to hold. But don't let that scare you, it still pays enough to live comfortably and support a family. Just don't expect to be driving a beamer on the way to work :P

By the way, I'm not sure how young you are, but the earlier you start, the better off you are. Programming is a skill that takes years and years of practice to get good at, so if you start now, it's possible that you can have the hardest parts of learning out of the way before you are even in college. That will help you tremendously, because at that point you can already start building upon an impressive portfolio to tack onto your resume and be ready to start shining by the time you are 21-22. Don't wait like I did, I won't be nearly ready to start sending in those resumes for another 4 years, and by then I'll be almost 30!
AWESOME im fine with the desk job and everything and to tell you the truth im 13 so that gives me plenty of time learn. My only problem is sticking to things but i think i can stick to programming. When i get frustrated i can go play a video game and get inspired.

Also if i dont get into the gaming industry and still program what other jobs can i get?
Quote:Original post by OldProgie2
(Oh, and people will argue for hours over which is the best / most suited / easiest. I will only say that as a professional games programmer, I use c++, make of that what you want.)

And I will counter by saying I'm a professional games programmer, I've used/use C++, C# and Lua and that Python is also a big thing in the games industry.

I'm also willing to bet you didn't start with C++, nor do you only know C++, because I started with BASIC at 13 and know multiple languages.

The key thing is not to think 'omg! I must do what the pros do!' because the pros took years to get there and went via other languages. When you are starting out you are better off using a language which is not going to throw pitfull after pitfull at you while you are trying to learn to program; you want something which lets you focus on how to make things, not the various strange corner cases of the language, which C++ is full of.

So, to repeat the advice which is thrown out here often; C++ is a very poor learning langauge, I strongly suggest you start with something else like C# or Python.

You are still a good 8 years from worrying about a programming job, so there is no great hurry.
Well, if you go about it the smart way and get a Computer Science degree as opposed to one of those game programming degrees, you should still have an EASY time finding a job programming office applications. A good idea for you is to go online and look at websites with regular job postings such as Monster and see what is in your area.
don't get dragged down to much with what language to learn, most programmers know at least 2 or 3 to an intermediate - advanced level and learning a new one is usually straight forward once you have your grounding. Just because you start learning C++ for example does not mean you will have to start from scratch when moving to another language.

When I was at University we did purely C++, but after graduating last year I have used C++, Java, C#, Python and XPath all professionaly, key thing is to get good programming with a language of your choice, then afterwards progression to another is usually easy. The only recommendation I would make it make sure you start on a language that is Object Orientated, hence stay away from C, you need OO these days unless you want to go into driver development and really low level stuff :)

There is plenty of books out there which will be more useful then any forum posts for learning a language.

Good Luck!
Code::blocks or devC++ is probably way simpler than Visual C++ to start out with. I would reccomend the first module of the GameInstitute's C++ programming series for starters. Which would lead you to Visual C++.net. I started out in basic then went to C++.
In before Why you shouldn't use Dev-C++.
Quote:Original post by phantom
And I will counter by saying I'm a professional games programmer, I've used/use C++, C# and Lua and that Python is also a big thing in the games industry. I'm also willing to bet you didn't start with C++, nor do you only know C++, because I started with BASIC at 13 and know multiple languages.

One of the most annoying things I find with this site is people always arguing about which language/IDE/engine is best. Yes, I did start with other languages (such as Z80 assembler), but I use c++ as that is what fits in with my work as a console programmer. As much as I may like (or dislike) using any other language, it is the one that is most widely used and supported in the field. Good, bad or indifferent, that is the state of play. As a moderator, I am dismayed at your wish to continue the childish 'my language is better than yours' argument. There has been enough argument on here about that subject and people should be allowed to make their own decisions.
Quote:Original post by phantom
The key thing is not to think 'omg! I must do what the pros do!'

The problem is that a lot of people do eventually want to become a professional programmer. Yes, learning a language such as c++ may be hard, but so too are a lot of other things. If you have the desire and the ability, you will get over it.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for life"
In other words, teach a programmer how to think for themselves, not just follow the crowd.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement