C++/dx10 - Cant fill vertexbuffer could be a heap problem or a dx problem.

Started by
6 comments, last by Tordin 14 years, 10 months ago
Hello! i am trying to fill a vertex buffer, but i only end up in a runtime break from msvs. "Cant read memory location" or "std::bad_aloc". here is the code where the problem lies (have found it with the exclude-your-code-until-you-find-it) i did exclude som of the code here beucs i dont whant to take up an houer just put it up! if anything else is needed il put it up on demand!

VTX* vertexData = NULL;
	VTXN* vertexDataN = NULL;

if(sh.g_Norm)
		vertexDataN = new VTXN[numVert]; 
	else if(!sh.g_Norm)
		vertexData = new VTX[numVert];

myfile.clear();
	myfile.seekg(0);
	numVert = vtxPos;
	index = new int[indexes*3];
	vtxPos = 0;		

float copyx[3] = {0.0f,0.0f,0.0f};
				for(int i = 0; i<3; i++) //läser in värdet.
				{
					char read[10];
					myfile>>read;
					for(int r = 0; r<10; r++)
						line += read[r];
					copyx = (atof(line.c_str())); //copy pasta!
					line = "";
				}
				if(sh.g_Norm) //tildelar om vi har normaler
				{
					vertexDataN[vtxPos].vtxPos = D3DXVECTOR3(copyx[0],copyx[1],copyx[2]);
					vertexDataN[vtxPos].color = D3DXVECTOR4(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);
				}
				else if(!sh.g_Norm) //tildelar om vi inte har normaler
				{
					vertexData[vtxPos].vtxPos = D3DXVECTOR3(copyx[0],copyx[1],copyx[2]);
					vertexData[vtxPos].color = D3DXVECTOR4(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);
				}
				line = ""; //tömsi!
				vtxPos++;

so the problem is that i cant find out what i have done wrong is this code, that results in a runtime break from msvs. cheers o7
"There will be major features. none to be thought of yet"
Advertisement
I don't understand how you read from the file, but it looks complicated and wrong to me. IMO, that should be simple like that, assuming myfile is a valid ifstream :
myfile >> copyx[0] >> copyx[1] >> copyx[2];
that "fix" do work good but the problem is still there.
any other hint on what it could be?
On which line do you get exception or error message?
I do get it alitle of every where, but i most of the time get it at this line in ANOTHER function :/

void MeshHolder::addMesh(MeshInstance &in_Mesh,Mesh *ing_Mesh,Texture *in_Tex){		totalVerts = 0;	if(meshBuffer != NULL)		meshBackupBuffer = meshBuffer;	length++;	meshBuffer = new MeshInstance[length]; <--- here! <!"!"!******<---- 	for(int i = 0; i<(length-1); i++)	{		meshBuffer = meshBackupBuffer;		totalVerts += meshBackupBuffer.g_Mesh->numVert;	}	in_Mesh.g_Mesh = ing_Mesh;	in_Mesh.tex = in_Tex;	in_Mesh.memPos = length-1;	meshBuffer[(length-1)] = in_Mesh;	totalVerts += in_Mesh.g_Mesh->numVert;	delete [] meshBackupBuffer;}
Does length variable contains sane number?
What does MeshInstance constructor look like? Maybe it does something bad?

And instead of new [] better use std::vector - then you will not need to worry about calling delete [], it delete memory it allocated automatically. Also you will not need to copy manuall all memory to add new mesh - std::vector has push_back method that adds new element at the end of array.
oh thanks, i gona try the vector out right away.
the length variabel starts at 0 and adds one every time this fuction is called, and the constructor of the MeshInstance is only setting the variabels to Zero (pos,rot,scale and mempos)

MeshInstance::MeshInstance(){	pos.x = 0.0f;	pos.y = 0.0f;	pos.z = 0.0f;	rot.x = 0.0f;	rot.y = 0.0f;	rot.z = 0.0f;	scale.x = 1.0f;	scale.y = 1.0f;	scale.z = 1.0f;	memPos = 0; }
I still get the same breakerror at the same location.
even when i do it with a vector, and this is the result code of it.
void MeshHolder::addMesh(MeshInstance &in_Mesh,Mesh *ing_Mesh,Texture *in_Tex){			in_Mesh.g_Mesh = ing_Mesh;	in_Mesh.tex = in_Tex;	in_Mesh.memPos = length;	totalVerts += in_Mesh.g_Mesh->numVert;	meshBuff.push_back(&in_Mesh);}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement