Sign in to follow this  
NiGoea

Shader language, which to use ?

NiGoea    104
Hi all guys ! Just one question. Do you think is better to learn to write shaders using HLSL or the native assembly-like language ? Right now I'm using DX9. Is HLSL slower ? thanks a lot !!

pp000    127
If you are beginning with shading i recommend hlsl. if you know c, you will have no problem learning hlsl.

i dont think that assembler-shading is slower than hlsl. its like c++ and assembler: if you know how to optimize c++ code its nearly as fast as assembler.

pp000

MJP    19754
The shader compiler will aggressively optimize your HLSL. Unless you're very familiar with how to create performant shader assembly, it's extremely unlikely that you will write faster assembly yourself.

Also FYI, in DX10 you no longer have the option of writing shaders in assembly so you might as well get used to using HLSL.

modus    148
FXC is your command line compiler for HLSL/FX... it'll compile your shaders/effects to binaries for quick loading (can be and usually is a significant time saver), dump assembly listings and reflect meta data for your perusal (great learning tool toward that end).