Sign in to follow this  
Thraddash

[SlimDX C#] Effect.Fromxxxx: compiler not returning errors

Thraddash    157
Hey folks... Basically I'm having an issue with Effect.FromFile and Effect.FromString and their ilk under D3D9. When I provide them with an effect I know has no errors, they compile fine. However when they encounter an error (even something as little as leaving out a single semicolon from an effect otherwise known to work), they throw an exception (E_FAIL: An undetermined error occurred (-2147467259)) but the output parameter compilerErrors has nothing in it. The D3D debug runtime doesn't report anything either. Obviously this is making debugging effects a pain. As far as I have tested, I get the same thing with Effect.FromFile, Effect.FromMemory, and Effect.FromString. I don't think it's an ASCII vs. Unicode issue, because as I said if there are no errors in the effect they compile just fine. Even still I tried saving the fx files with different encodings to no avail. Overall I'm stumped. I had near identical code working a while back, and this issue seems to have cropped up since I installed the March 09 SlimDX release, although I never rule out me being a moron. Any ideas?

Thraddash    157
I've run them through fxc which works as expected but it's not the ideal solution to have to run a command line utility every time I make a change to an effect. But I guess it will have to do going forward unless anyone else has any other clues what could be causing this.