Sign in to follow this  
gamelife

svn "unrecognized line ending style"

Hi, I am using TortoiseSVN. Recently, I updated all .txt files to have svn:mime-type = application/octet-stream. After that, when some other colleagues do svn update on their computers, they got error: "unrecognized line ending style". Any clues? Thanks in advance!

When you change a text file to be treated as a binary, then you don't get newline translations done. On different platforms the character(s) for line endings are different.

But when a colleague do SVN update again, he got the same error; and he cannot commit the file.
"unrecognized line ending style" should be an warning instead of an error, right?

I cannot set eol-style to native since it pops up an error: File xxx has binary mime type property.

My client is TortoiseSVN 1.6.2. I am not sure what's the server's version.

I just want SVN to treat my files as binary, that's why I set svn:mime-type to application/octet-stream. I don't know why it bothers with line ending style. It should be a bug.

What happens if your colleagues attempt a fresh checkout of the directory containing the text files with application/octet-stream MIME type? I'm wondering if the errors aren't due to switching from a previous revision having been a purely text file (meaning SVN would try to merge commits) and the subsequent revision being binary (meaning it wouldn't). I can't be certain, but it's worth investigating.

SVN shouldn't care about the line ending style in a binary file, so it's a truly odd error.

Fresh checkout has no problem.
Btw, apparently only the first update(s) after changing mime-type would raise the error, after that no problem occurs now.

Quote:
Original post by gamelife
Fresh checkout has no problem.
Btw, apparently only the first update(s) after changing mime-type would raise the error, after that no problem occurs now.

Yeah, that's what I thought. For future reference, you could probably dropped to the command line and done an svn update --force to override the error.