Sign in to follow this  

svn "unrecognized line ending style"

This topic is 3100 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am using TortoiseSVN. Recently, I updated all .txt files to have svn:mime-type = application/octet-stream. After that, when some other colleagues do svn update on their computers, they got error: "unrecognized line ending style". Any clues? Thanks in advance!

When you change a text file to be treated as a binary, then you don't get newline translations done. On different platforms the character(s) for line endings are different.

But when a colleague do SVN update again, he got the same error; and he cannot commit the file.
"unrecognized line ending style" should be an warning instead of an error, right?

I cannot set eol-style to native since it pops up an error: File xxx has binary mime type property.

My client is TortoiseSVN 1.6.2. I am not sure what's the server's version.

I just want SVN to treat my files as binary, that's why I set svn:mime-type to application/octet-stream. I don't know why it bothers with line ending style. It should be a bug.

What happens if your colleagues attempt a fresh checkout of the directory containing the text files with application/octet-stream MIME type? I'm wondering if the errors aren't due to switching from a previous revision having been a purely text file (meaning SVN would try to merge commits) and the subsequent revision being binary (meaning it wouldn't). I can't be certain, but it's worth investigating.

SVN shouldn't care about the line ending style in a binary file, so it's a truly odd error.

Fresh checkout has no problem.
Btw, apparently only the first update(s) after changing mime-type would raise the error, after that no problem occurs now.

Quote:
Original post by gamelife
Fresh checkout has no problem.
Btw, apparently only the first update(s) after changing mime-type would raise the error, after that no problem occurs now.

Yeah, that's what I thought. For future reference, you could probably dropped to the command line and done an svn update --force to override the error.

This topic is 3100 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.